The long awaited season of warm days and cool eats. To kick off the season and in honor of our strawberry picking adventure, I have an easy summer strawberry dessert idea for you! I like to think of it as a strawberries and cream hack! These are the kind of dishes we love to enjoy in the summer: super simple, delicious and most importantly still has a bit of freshness to it!
We love stocking up on fresh fruits and vegetables right now. In fact, we just went strawberry picking at a local farm last weekend. What an adventure! Who knew it would take so long to fill up our little baskets full of beautiful ripe strawberries! With all of that baskets of strawberries we picked, I didn't know what to do it!
And did you know that fresh picked strawberries do not have the same shelf life as super market ones? Yup they go bad much quicker! So you gotta eat, use or freeze them quickly!!
Strawberry Shortcake Hack!
Instead of making shortcakes, I like to use slices of pound cake!
- Top slices of pound cake with sliced strawberries and whipped cream.
- For an extra dose of indulgence: drizzle strawberry syrup
- Tip: To bring out the sweetness of strawberries, toss sliced strawberries in a sprinkle of sugar for a few minutes. This will release the liquids from the strawberries or macerate them and essentially make a natural sauce.
I mean what's not to love here?! Its so perfect on those extra hot summer days when you cannot even fathom turning on that oven. It requires just a few simple ingredients. And you're totally getting a serving of fresh fruit!!
Now just grab a spoon and I hope you enjoy this easy summer strawberry dessert!
Easy Summer Strawberry Dessert
- 1 loaf pound cake
- 1 pound strawberries cut into halves
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 cups whipped topping
- Cut the pound cake into slices, set aside.
- In a bowl, stir together strawberry halves and sugar. Set aside for a few minutes or until ready to serve.
- When ready to eat, top each pound cake slice with a few spoonfuls of strawberries and a dollop of whipped topping.