This fiery and flavorful spicy masala peanut chaat recipe will have you craving this dish again and again. Brace yourself for a wild ride of tantalizing flavors and mouthwatering spices. Whether you long to impress your guests or simply crave a spicy snack, this recipe is bound to leave a lasting impression.
What is Peanut Chaat?
Peanut chaat is a simple mixture of roasted peanuts, diced veggies and spices combined so that each bite has you craving more. Imagine the crisp crunch of peanuts, coated in a fiery masala blend that ignites your senses.
Chaat refers to a whole category of Indian street foods. While chaats can be of many shapes and forms, the thing they have in common are the effects they have on your taste buds. In that, chaats are notoriously sweet, salty, spicy, tangy and crunchy in every bite. You can check out other chaat dishes like Pani Puri or Chaat-cuterie Board.
Ingredients You'll Need
To embark on your culinary adventure with this fiery and flavorful spicy masala peanut chaat recipe, you'll need just a few simple ingredients that will bring out the vibrant flavors and textures in this dish.
- Roasted Peanuts - I suggest using unsalted roasted peanuts to better control the flavor
- Onions- finely diced, any variety
- Tomatoes- finely diced
- Green Chili Peppers - either Thai bird chillis or serrano peppers are the best option for this dish
- Cilantro - freshly chopped
- Chaat Masala - I use this brand
- Cumin - Ground cumin powder
- Red Chili Pepper - red chili powder
- Lemon - a fresh squeeze of lemon juice
What is Chaat Masala?
Chaat Masala is a blend of spices made with dried spices like dried mango powder, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, dried pomegranate seeds and black salt. It’s the essential ingredient many Indian street foods. Not only is it perfect for snack foods, but it can be used to elevate anything with a kick of sour, tangy flavor like these dishes Chaat Masala Mixed Nuts or Kale and Garlic Raita.
How to make Peanut Chaat?
This peanut chaat is a super simple dish to make. Check out the steps below and you'll be sitting down and enjoying a bowl of this chaat is a matter of minutes.
- First prep all your ingredients. Just take a few minutes to chop your onions, tomatoes and cilantro. Gather a mixing bowl to mix everything in and grab your spices.
- Next start combining everything! To the mixing bowl, add the peanuts, onions, tomatoes, chilli peppers, cilantro. Lightly toss to combine.
- Season the mixture with the spices: chaat masala, cumin powder and red chilli powder.
- Finish the dish with a fresh squeeze of lemon over the entire chaat mixture and enjoy!
Serving and Presentation
As with most chaats, this peanut chaat is best served immediately. If you're looking to make this dish ahead of time. I suggest prepping all the ingredients and combining everything just before serving. This will prevent the veggies from releasing too much water as it sits.
To further elevate the presentation of this dish, I suggest a simple garnish of freshly chopped cilantro or mint leaves. This not only adds a pop of contrasting green to the dish but also enhances the visual appeal. Additionally, a squeeze of fresh lemon juice right before serving will add a refreshing tang, making each bite even more delightful.
If you're looking to add some textural contrast to your spicy masala peanut chaat, consider including some crunchy elements. You can experiment with different types of crispy fried snacks like sev, puffed rice, or even crushed papad. These additions not only enhance the sensory experience but also bring an interesting twist to the dish, making it more exciting and enjoyable to devour.
You can also add additional toppings like yogurt or tamarind chutney .
Additionally, you can expand this chaat and turn it into more a salad. Just incorporate some more fresh vegetables like cucumbers, carrots, bell peppers to add more vibrancy and crunch.
Spicy Masala Peanut Chaat
- 1 cup peanuts roasted and salted
- ¼ cup red onion diced
- 1 small tomato diced
- 1 serrano pepper diced
- 2 teaspoons chaat masala
- ¼ teaspoon cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder
- salt to taste
- 1 lemon juiced
- 2 tablespoons cilantro chopped
- Dice the onion, tomato, and chili pepper. Finely chop the cilantro.
- In a bowl, toss the peanuts, onion, tomato, chili pepper, cilantro, lemon juice, chaat masala, salt, and chili powder.
- Serve immediately with crackers or as is.