These super easy Millionaire’s Shortbread bars are always a hit with the entire family! I mean how can anyone resist them? Sweet and buttery shortbread cookie base, soft and gooey caramel in the middle, topped with a delicious chocolate ganache. And just to break up the sweetness a bit, finish with some flakey sea salt.
- All Purpose Flour
- Cornstarch - This is like a secret ingredient in making the shortbread layer so soft and crumbly!
- Sugar - I used granulated sugar for this recipe
- Butter - Cold, unsalted butter, cut into small cubes so they can be cut into the flour easily.
- Caramel Sauce - I like to use a jarred caramel sauce to make these bars super easy and quickly!
- Chocolate - Milk chocolate or dark chocolate can be used. Its your preference.
- Heavy Cream
- Flakey Sea Salt
- Edible Gold Leaf - optional, but just a few pieces really elevate the bars!
How to make easy Millionaire's Shortbread Bars?
Make the Shortbread. Combine flour, cornstarch and sugar in a large mixing bowl. (The cornstarch helps to make this shortbread layer super tender, soft and crumbly!) Then cut in the cold butter, until you get a mixture that resembles coarse sand. Press the mixture into a square baking pan and bake for 30 minutes.
Caramel Layer. I like to make these desserts bars super easily (busy mom!) so I grab a jar of caramel sauce. Remember, to be careful to not get the caramel syrup, that will be too thin for this recipe. But you're looking for a thick caramel sauce in a jar. Just zap the sauce in the microwave or over low heat on the stove for a few minutes. This will make it easier to pour. Then pour the caramel over the cooled shortbread layer. Now you want to set the caramel, so stick it in the freezer for about 20 minutes.
Chocolate Ganache. Melt chopped chocolate and heavy cream together to make a luscious chocolate ganache topping for these bars. You can use the double boiler method or just heat the two ingredients in the microwave for a few seconds at a time.
Finishing Touches. I like to top these sweet bars with flakey sea salt (the little chunks of salt help to cut through the sweetness) and edible gold leaf just to make them look fancy (they are called millionaire bars after all!)
You might also be interesting in : Blood Orange Raspberry Bars, Coconut Cookie & Caramel S'mores, Dulce de Leche Biscoff Cheesecake Mousse (No Bake)
Easy Millionaire's Shortbread Bars
For the Shortbread
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter cut into small cubes
For the Caramel Layer
- 10 ounces caramel sauce
For the Chocolate Ganache Layer
- 1 cup chocolate chopped, milk or dark chocolate can be used.
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- ¼ teaspoon flakey sea salt optional
- ¼ teaspoon edible gold leaf
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line an 8x8-inch baking pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cornflour, and sugar. Add the butter and, using a pastry cutter or your fingertips, cut the butter into the mixture until it resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
- Press the mixture firmly into the bottom of the prepared pan. Bake for 25 - 30 minutes or until lightly browned on top. Set aside to cool.
- Once the shortbread layer is cooled to room temperature, pour the caramel sauce over and spread to cover the entire surface. Freeze for about 20 minutes.
- Make the chocolate ganache by heating chocolate and heavy cream over a double boiler at low heat. Stir to combine, remove from heat as soon the chocolate is melted (you do not want to over heat because the chocolate will seize)
- Pour the chocolate ganache over the caramel layer and top with flakey sea salt and edible gold leaf (if using)
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before cutting into bars and serving.
Leave a Reply