Get your greens and satisfy your sweet tooth with these chocolate chip pecan zucchini muffins! These delicious muffins are packed with flavor from warm spices like cinnamon, cardamom and nutmeg.
Muffins are a great way to start any morning, especially when they actually super healthy. These muffins are filled with grated zucchini, chopped pecans, and some chocolate chips for a touch of indulgence. I also like to incorporate whole wheat flour in addition to all purpose flour to increase the fiber content.
Not only does zucchini add a nutritious boost to your muffins, but the combination of chocolate and pecans create a rich, indulgent flavor that will satisfy your sweet tooth. The benefits of sneaking veggies into your breakfast make zucchini the perfect addition to the muffins. Get ready to transform your breakfast routine and satisfy your cravings with these scrumptious chocolate chip pecan zucchini muffins.
The Benefits of Sneaking Veggies into Your Breakfast
Zucchini might not be the first thing that comes to mind when you think of muffins, but it's a fantastic addition that brings both flavor and nutrition. Not only does zucchini add a nice texture to the muffins, but it's also an excellent source of vitamins and minerals. It contains high levels of vitamin C, which supports immune function, and vitamin A, which promotes healthy skin and eyesight. Zucchini is low in calories but high in fiber, vitamins, and minerals. In fact, just one cup of shredded zucchini contains over 10% of your daily recommended intake of vitamins C and K, as well as potassium and manganese.
Plus, incorporating vegetables into your breakfast routine is a great way to increase your overall vegetable consumption. Many people struggle to get in the recommended daily servings of vegetables, but by sneaking them into your breakfast, you can easily and deliciously up your intake. I know for me, its a struggle to get my kids to eat anything green some days!
But don't worry - just because these muffins are nutritious doesn't mean they sacrifice on taste. The chocolate chips and pecans add a sweetness and richness that perfectly complement the zucchini. It's a winning combination that will have you coming back for more, my kids are always asking for seconds of these yummy muffins! So go ahead, indulge in a muffin (or two!) and feel good about starting your day off right.
Ingredients for Chocolate Chip Pecan Zucchini Muffins
- Dry Ingredients:
- Wet Ingredients:
- Zucchini - about 1 or 2 small zucchinis, shredded but do not squeeze the water out
- Sugars - Granulated and brown sugars for this recipe
- Vanilla Extract
- Milk - any dairy or non dairy flavor will work
- Eggs - 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- Oil - any neutral flavored oil
- Add - ins:
How to Make Chocolate Chip Pecan Zucchini Muffins
To achieve the perfect balance of flavors and textures in your chocolate chip pecan zucchini muffins, there are a few key steps to follow.
- First, mix together all of the dry ingredients. All purpose & whole wheat flours, spices (cinnamon, nutmeg & cardamom), baking soda, baking powder, and salt
- Next, combine the wet ingredients: oil, brown & granulated sugars, eggs and milk. Once combined, add in the shredded zucchini and mix together.
- Now slowly add in the dry ingredient mixture to the wet ingredients slowly until fully incorporated.
- Finally, gently fold in the chocolate chips and chopped pecans.
- Be careful not to over mixing the batter, as this will make the muffins tough. Mix until just combined and then scoop into muffin cups for baking.
- Bake in a preheated oven and enjoy any time of day!
Tips for Perfecting Your Muffin Baking Skills
If you're new to baking muffins or simply looking to improve your skills, there are a few tips and tricks to keep in mind.
- First, make sure you're using the correct measurements for each ingredient. Baking is a science and even a small mistake in measurements can throw off the entire recipe.
- Next, don't be afraid to experiment with flavors and ingredients. Muffins are incredibly versatile and can be made with a variety of fruits, nuts, and spices. Adding a touch of cinnamon or nutmeg can take your muffins to the next level.
- Another important factor to consider is the temperature of your ingredients. Be sure to let your eggs come to room temperature before mixing them with the other ingredients. This will ensure that they blend together evenly and create a smooth batter.
- Finally, keep an eye on your muffins as they bake. Oven temperatures can vary, so it's important to monitor your muffins and adjust baking times accordingly. A toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin should come out clean when they're fully baked.
Incorporating vegetables into your breakfast routine has never been easier or more delicious than with these chocolate chip pecan zucchini muffins. As we've seen, sneaking in some extra greens comes with a range of benefits for your health and wellbeing. Zucchini is the perfect addition to your muffins, making them perfectly moist and packed with nutrients.
Chocolate Chip Pecan Zucchini Muffins
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 Tablespoons milk (dairy or non dairy)
- 1¾ cups shredded zucchini no need to squeeze out the water
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- ½ cup pecans chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 12 count muffin pan with cupcake/muffin liners.
- Whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, cardamom and nutmeg together in a large bowl. Set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk the oil, granulated sugar, brown sugar, eggs, vanilla extract, and milk together. Whisk in the shredded zucchini. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and whisk or stir until just combined. Fold in the chocolate chips and pecans. Do not over mix the batter.
- Spoon the batter into liners, filling them all the way to the top. Sprinkle with coarse sugar, if desired.Bake for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. (For mini muffins, bake 11–13 minutes at 350°F)
- Allow the muffins to cool for 5 minutes in the muffin pan, and then transfer to a wire rack to continue cooling, or enjoy warm.