Spice Up Your Snack Game with Paneer Tikka Tater Tots
Are you tired of the same old snacks? Want to add a little spice to your life? Look no further than paneer tikka tater tots. This savory vegetarian treat is easy to make at home and packs a flavorful punch.
In this article, I'll share with you everything you need to know to create the perfect Indian spiced tater tots full of veggies and a classic Indian cheese: paneer.
Here's everything you'll need to know, including ingredients, preparation, customizations, and tips for success. Plus, I'll even show you how to make a crispy tater tot version using your air fryer! So, get ready to tantalize your taste buds and impress your friends and family with this delicious recipe. Let's get cooking!
To create the perfect paneer tikka, you'll need a variety of flavorful ingredients. A block of paneer cheese is the star of the show, which can be found in most specialty stores or online. The other main ingredient in this recipe is the potato, can't have tater tots without potatoes! But also other vegetables work great in this recipe. Carrots, zucchini, and sweet potatoes are great additions to these tots.
Other essential ingredients include garlic, ginger, and a blend of aromatic spices such as cumin, coriander, garam masala, turmeric. For added heat, you can include a diced green chili or red chili powder. To balance out the flavors, you'll also need a bit of salt, lemon juice, and a drizzle of oil.
- First, boil the potatoes until they are fork tender. Peel and mash the potatoes and allow them to cool while you prepare the other ingredients.
- Grate the paneer cheese and vegetables such as carrots, zucchini, onions. This will help you get the perfect texture for forming the mixture into a tater tot shape.
- Combine the potatoes, grated paneer and veggies. Season the mixture with garlic, ginger, and dry spices (cumin, coriander, red chili powder, turmeric). Finish with a drizzle of fresh lemon juice and salt.
- Add in all purpose flour and form the mixture into small tater tots, freeze for 30 minutes to an hour to allow them to firm up.
- When you're ready to cook, heat up some oil in a deep frying pan and carefully add the tater tots in batches. Fry until they turn golden brown and crispy, and remove them with a slotted spoon onto a paper towel-lined plate.
Now that you have the basics of the preparation down, let's move on to customizing your recipe with different spices and flavors.
Now that you have mastered the basic recipe, it's time to experiment with different spices and flavors to create your own unique variation. You can add a dash of cumin powder or smoked paprika for a smoky flavor, or try using garam masala or chaat masala for a more traditional Indian taste. You can also add experiment with different vegetables. Use whatever you have on hand. Carrots, zucchini, bell peppers, onions, sweet potatoes will all add great flavor to these tots.
If you prefer a spicier paneer tikka, you can add more chili powder or even some chopped green chilies. Or for even more spicy flavor, experiment with other peppers. Alternatively, if you want a milder flavor, you can reduce the amount of spices you use or omit the chili powder altogether.
Air Fryer Version
If you're short on time or want a healthier version of paneer tikka, look no further than the air fryer. The hot air circulation crisps up the paneer veggie tots while keeping them moist on the inside, and the veggies become wonderfully caramelized. Simply coat your tots with a bit of oil and your favorite spice blend, and air fry at 425°F for about 20-25 minutes, flipping halfway through.
How to Serve Paneer Tikka Tater Tots
Garnish with fresh cilantro leaves and serve with a side of spicy jalapeno cilantro chutney or Kale and Garlic Raita for a cooling contrast. These tater tots are also a hit with just some ketchup on the side! This snack is perfect for game nights, movie nights, or even as an appetizer for a party.
Incorporating crispy paneer and veggie tater tots into your snack game is an easy way to add some variety and spice things up. Plus, it's a great way to use up leftover paneer and veggies from your paneer tikka recipe.,
Indian paneer tikka is a delectable snack that can be easily customized to fit your taste preferences. With the right ingredients and preparation, you can whip up this savory vegetarian dish in no time.
You might also be interested in: Tandoori Tater Tots
Paneer Tikka Tater Tots
- 2 potatoes large
- 12 ounces paneer grated
- ½ onion diced
- 1 carrots peeled and grated
- 1-3 green chili peppers adjust per taste
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour optional
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1-2 teaspoons salt adjust per taste
- 1 tablespoon cilantro chopped
- oil for frying
- Boil potatoes until just tender.Place in a heavy-bottomed pot and add enough water to cover with water by 1 inch. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to maintain a simmer and cook until the potatoes are just fork-tender, 7 to 9 minutes. Drain the potatoes. Rinse the pot and thoroughly dry. Alternatively, you can microwave potatoes: Pierce the skin a few times and coat with a touch of oil. Then microwave potatoes for 1-2 minutes at time until fork tender.
- When the potatoes are cool enough to handle, peel skin completely and just roughly mash. Do not over mash or mix the potatoes at this step.
- Add all remaining ingredients (minus the oil for frying) and stir to gently combine.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment or wax paper. Scoop out a portion of the potato mixture and press and shape it with your fingers into a 2-inch-long tot. The potato mixture should be easy to work with and will hold the shape well without falling apart. Place on the baking sheet and repeat with the remaining potato mixture; space the tots evenly apart on the baking sheet.
- Place the uncooked paneer tater tots in the freezer for at 20 minutes. This will help to hold their shape when frying.
- Heat oil in heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat until 350°F. Meanwhile, line a place a cooling rack in a baking sheet or rimmed baking sheet with paper towels.
- When the oil is ready, fry in batches. Carefully add the tots to the hot oil and fry, until golden-brown all over, 1 to 2 minutes total. Use a slotted spoon to remove the tater tots from the oil, carefully shake off the excess oil back into the pot, and transfer to the baking sheet. Sprinkle with more salt if desired. Alternatively you can bake the tots at 450℉ for 20-25 minutes or air fry at 425℉ for 20-25 minutes.