Are you searching for that one holiday cookie recipe that will make you the star of every gathering? Look no further! These Maraschino Cherry Pistachio Chocolate Chip Cookies are the ultimate holiday treat that will leave your guests begging for more. These festive cookies are an easy and delightful spin on traditional chocolate chip cookies, with sweet maraschino cherries and chopped pistachios.
Ingredients for Maraschino Cherry Pistachio Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Unsalted Butter- Softened to room temperature. I prefer unsalted butter to control the amount of salt
- Light Brown Sugar - light brown sugar is simply granulated sugar with some of the molasses added back in.
- Granulated Sugar - for a little more sweetness
- Egg - for binding the dough and adding structure.
- Vanilla Extract - for added warmth and complexity.
- Cornstarch - mostly used as a thickening agent, in cookies, it helps to create perfect delicately chewy cookies with a lightly crisp exterior.
- Chopped Pistachios - Chopped
- Maraschino Cherries - Patted dry and chopped. Make sure to get all of the moisture out of the cherries to ensure that extra liquid does not get into the cookie dough.
- Chocolate Chips - I like to use semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips in this recipe. Because the cherries are more sweet than tart, the less sweet chocolate provides a nice balance of flavors
- Salt - to balance out the sweetness
Just a twist on a chocolate chip but the burst of vibrant color and tangy sweetness, you get from the chopped maraschino cherries is so worth it! These ruby-red jewels will not only make your cookies visually appealing but also add a delightful fruity taste. Not to mention, the chopped pistachios give these cookies the perfect crunchy texture and a subtle nutty flavor that complements the chocolate chips.
Speaking of chocolate chips, chocolate chips to complete the flavor profile. These gooey pockets of chocolate will melt in your mouth and create a heavenly combination with the cherries and pistachios.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Baking the Cookies
- Begin by creaming together the butter and sugars in a large mixing bowl until light and fluffy. This step is crucial for achieving the perfect texture and flavor in your cookies. The creamy mixture will help bind all the other ingredients together and create a soft, chewy cookie with just the right amount of sweetness.
- Next, add the egg to the butter and sugar mixture. Beat well to ensure everything is fully incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Gradually add this dry mixture to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined. Be careful not to overmix as this can lead to tough cookies. The flour should be fully incorporated, but you should still have a slightly sticky dough.
- Now, it's time to fold in the star ingredients - the maraschino cherries, pistachios, and chocolate chips. Gently mix them into the dough, making sure they are evenly distributed throughout. These gooey pockets of chocolate will melt in your mouth and create a heavenly combination with the cherries and pistachios.
- Once your dough is complete, it's time to shape your cookies. Using a cookie scoop or tablespoon, drop rounded portions of dough onto your prepared baking sheets. Make sure to leave enough space between each cookie to allow for spreading during baking.
- Now, pop your baking sheets into the preheated oven and let the magic happen. Bake for around 8-10 minutes or until the edges are golden brown and the centers are just set. Remember that cookies continue to bake slightly as they cool, so it's better to slightly underbake than over bake them.
- Once your cookies are out of the oven, let them cool on the baking sheets for a few minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely. This will ensure they hold their shape and maintain their soft and chewy texture.
Tips for Perfecting the Texture and Flavor
First and foremost, the secret to achieving that perfect texture lies in the butter. Make sure it is softened to room temperature before you begin mixing the dough. Softened butter ensures a smooth and creamy consistency, allowing all the ingredients to meld together harmoniously.
Similarly, when adding the flour, be mindful not to over mix the dough. Over mixing can result in tough cookies, so gently fold in the dry ingredients just until they are incorporated.
Another important aspect of cookie perfection is the ingredients themselves. When it comes to selecting your maraschino cherries, opt for high-quality ones that are plump and fresh. Drain them well and pat dry before adding them to the dough. This will prevent excess moisture from affecting the cookie's texture.
To intensify the flavor profile, don't be afraid to play around with the mix-ins. While the recipe calls for chocolate chips, you can experiment with different types of chocolate, such as dark or white chocolate chunks, to add a unique twist. Additionally, try substituting the pistachios with other nuts like almonds or walnuts, or even adding a touch of cinnamon or nutmeg to enhance the holiday spirit.
Lastly, remember that the baking time can greatly impact the final texture of your cookies. If you prefer a softer, chewier center, reduce the baking time slightly and remove the cookies from the oven when they still appear slightly underdone. This will result in a moist and tender center, while the edges will have a delightful crunch. On the other hand, if you prefer a crisper texture, leave them in the oven for a bit longer until they are a deeper golden brown.
Maraschino Cherry Pistachio Chocolate Chip Cookies
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- ½ cup light brown sugar packed
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup pistachios chopped
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup maraschino cherries patted dry and chopped
- Preheat oven to 350℉. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, cornstarch, and salt. Set aside
- In the bowl of a electric mixer with a paddle attachment, whisk together the butter and sugars until fluffy about 4-5 minutes. Whisk in the egg and vanilla until very well combined, about 1 minute.
- Fold the flour mixture into the butter mixture. Beat in the cherries, pistachios and chocolate chips.
- Scoop the dough into 1½ tablespoon-sized balls, place on the baking sheets 2 inches apart. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until the edges are lightly golden brown. Let cool slightly on the pan, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.