I'm pretty sure I could eat homemade samosas any day, everyday even! Luckily, I kind of found a way to make that possible. These samosa tostadas are a quick and easy way to get your samosa fix any day of the week! Just top the classic potato and pea veggie samosa mixture on a fried flour tortilla with some sweet and spicy chutneys!
This is a great Indian Mexican fusion dish! It combines the best of both cuisines. The ease of prepping tostadas with all of the flavor of a freshly fried samosa! And yet you're not deep frying anything!! I'm pretty sure these tostadas don't even require a quarter of the oil as regular samosas. (And actually you can save even more oil by air-frying the tortillas!)
How to make Samosa Tostadas
The potato and pea filling comes together in less than 20 minutes! Just make sure you prep all of out ingredients before you begin. All you need is potatoes, peas and onions. Plus a little seasoning and some fresh ginger and green chilies. To really save time in cooking the potato mixture, I recommend cutting the potatoes as small and evenly as possible.
Then all you have to do is fry up some flour tortillas. I highly recommend flour tortillas for these samosa tostadas. The flavor of the flour is more reminiscent of the samosa crust than corn or other grain tortillas.
Just like any samosa, you got have some sweet and spicy chutneys! You can make your own or grab your favorite store bought brands for ease. Have fun with the toppings, here is what I typically use.
Samosa Filling Mixture
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon ajwain seeds
- ½ cup onion finely diced
- 1 teaspoon ginger finely diced
- 1-2 green chiles finely diced
- 2 medium Russet potatoes peeled, chopped into 1 inch
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ cup frozen green peas
- 4-6 Flour tortillas
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil for frying
- cilantro chutney
- tamarind chutney
- diced onions optional
- chopped cilantro optional
Make Samosa Filling
- If possible, peel and cut potatoes then soak in cold water for 1 hour. Do not rinse until ready to cook.
- In a saute pan, heat cooking oil on medium heat. Add cumin and ajwain seeds, cook for 2 minutes. Add ginger and green chiles cook for another minute.
- Add chopped onions and cook for 2 minutes. Drain water from potatoes and add to onion mixture, stir to coat. Cover pan and cook for about 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are cooked, stirring every few minutes.
- Add dry spices and lemon juice to the potato mixture, stir to coat. Add in peas, cook mixture for another 3 minutes. Remove from heat. Set aside.
Assemble Samosa Tostadas
- Heat oil on medium high in saute pan. Fry tortillas in oil until golden. Remove to paper towel lined plate. Repeat for remaining tortillas.
- To assemble tostadas, top a fried tortilla with about ⅓ cup of samosa filling, drizzle with chutneys, onions and cilantro.