Oooey gooey Lucky Charms marshmallow treats are a fun sweet St. Patricks Day themed treat for kids, a spin on the classic rice cereal marshmallow treat! I just love fun pastel colors from the cereal!
We love the create fun variations on rice cereal treats, we made these rainbow cereal treats with strawberry flavored marshmallows and fruit flavored cereal!
What Ingredients do you need for Lucky Charms Marshmallow Treats?
- Marshmallows - any type of marshmallows will work here, mini marshmallows will melt faster and if you can get your hands on Lucky Charm shaped marshmallows that is even better! If you're looking for gelatin free marshmallows, these are a great option.
- Butter - unsalted butter, so you can control the salt
- Lucky Charms cereal - you can substitute any cereal of your choice as well
- Vanilla extract - this is an optional ingredient, but a little vanilla flavor really elevates the treats
- Salt - another optional ingredient, but it helps to cut through the sweetness a bit
Tips for making the best, most ooey gooey marshmallow treats
- Getting the right butter marshmallow to cereal ratio - you want enough gooey marshmallow mixture to completely coat all of your cereal pieces but not too much that its a sticky mess!
- Be ready to move quickly! - Prep your ingredients and pans/utensils before melting anything. Have everything ready for you. Make sure the pan is lined with parchment paper and sprayed with cooking spray.
- Once you are ready to transfer the Lucky Charms treats to the pan, you want to ditch the utensils and press the cereal mixture with your hands. The mixture will have cooled enough to work with. Just gently (but still quickly!) press the cereal mixture into the pan with greased hands. Working with your hands will ensure, that you do not over compress the mixture, which would result in a denser and tougher marshmallow treat.
Can I replace fun colored marshmallows with regular white marshmallows?
No, not unless you have only 1 particular fun color. If you are trying to replace white marshmallows with a bag of multi-colored marshmallows, all of the colors will mix together and you will end up with green/brown marshmallow goo instead!
So I suggest if you are trying to incorporate multicolored marshmallows into the cereal treats, that you use white marshmallows to melt and throw in the fun colored marshmallows with the cereal. This way, they will melt a bit as you're combining the warm marshmallow mixture with your cereal but the colors will not run together.
How do you make Lucky Charms cereal marshmallow treats?
- Melt the butter in a saucepan. As the butter is melting, add in the vanilla and salt (if using)
- Once the butter is fully melted, add in the marshmallows. Stir until fully melted. If you are trying to use Lucky Charms marshmallows or other multi-colored marshmallows, I suggest that you save those until you're ready to combine with the cereal. Instead use a combination of white marshmallows (for melting) and the fun colored marshmallows (for mixing in and topping later)
- Combine the cereal into the melted butter and marshmallow mixture. Quickly coat the cereal with the melted marshmallows.
- Transfer the mixture into the parchment lined and greased pan. With your hands, gently press the cereal marshmallow mixture into the pan.
- Let the treats rest for an hour before cutting and serving.
For other fun St. Patricks Day treats for the kids, be sure to check out these Pot of Gold Cupcakes
Lucky Charms Cereal Marshmallow Treats
- 8 ounces marshmallows
- 3 cups Lucky Charms cereal
- 4 tablespoons butter unsalted
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract optional
- ¼ teaspoon salt optional
- 1 cup Lucky Charms marshmallows optional
- Prepare a 8" x 8" baking pan, line with parchment paper and lightly grease with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan. Add vanilla extract and salt, stir to combine. Add marshmallows to the pan to melt as well. Stir to combine.
- Once the butter and marshmallows have melted, remove from heat. Quickly stir in cereal. Once the cereal is coated, toss in Lucky Charms marshmallows if using.
- Using hands, gently press the mixture into the prepared baking tray. Allow to cool for about 1 hour before cutting.