Garlic parmesan chicken wings baked in the oven until crispy, drizzle with a buttery garlic honey sauce and tossed with parmesan cheese!
Ingredients for Garlic Parmesan Chicken Wings
- Chicken Wings - I like to cut my wings into drumettes and wingettes (you can discard the wing tips) so its easier to cook and serve, follow this guide if you're looking for instructions.
- Dry Seasoning - I like to add a good amount of seasoning to the wings before baking. I use: salt, black pepper, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder and chile powder. You can use any combination you prefer. But make sure that you stick with the dry spices for the bake, this way you do not introduce any moisture to the wings for the bake
- Garlic - fresh, minced garlic
- Butter - melted unsalted butter for the garlic butter sauce. The butter helps to coat the wings
- Honey - adds a touch of sweetness that helps to mellow out the garlic and helps the garlic and parmesan cheese stick to the wings
- Parmesan Cheese - I like to use grated parmesan cheese for this recipe, I think it sticks nicely to the wings (and it also reminds me of Korean snow cheese chicken yum!)
How to make the crispiest chicken wings in the oven?
We really don't ever fry wings anymore, ever since we discovered this method to making the crispiest chicken wings in the oven, there is no need! Check out how:
Prep your baking pan. Grab your baking pan and an oven safe wire rack. This is the one I have, the wire rack fits perfectly inside the pan and I love the extra large size.
Season your wings. Dry the wings with a paper towel and add in your mix of spices. You can use any mix of seasoning you prefer, salt, pepper and garlic is a must for me. My only tip is stick to purely dry spices. You are looking for a nice crust with the spices as they bake.
Prepare the wing sauce. Once the wings are out of the oven, you can prepare the wings sauce. For these garlic parmesan wings, all you need is: garlic, butter and honey. Combine melted butter with minced garlic and honey, cook for a few minutes to get rid of the raw garlic flavor and then drizzle over the still hot wings.
Toss in parmesan cheese. Immediately sprinkle the wings with parmesan cheese (and scallions), toss to distribute and serve!
Tips for Making Crispy Baked Wings
- Make sure to space out the wings on the wire rack while baking. You really want air circulation all around the wings. That's why you're elevating them from the bottom of the pan. So make sure that all of the sides of the wings are also separate.
- Keep the surface of the wings dry! The trick with crispy wings is to reduce the moisture on the wings. So pat the wings dry before seasoning and only use dry seasoning!
- Add additional flavor in the sauce. Butter is the perfect base because it helps the sauce stick to the wings. But instead of baking in the butter and sauce ingredients, its best to toss the crispy wings in the sauce afterwards.
Garlic Parmesan Chicken Wings (Baked)
Crispy Baked Wings
- 2 lb chicken wings cut into separate pieces
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder use more or less depending on your heat preference
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
Garlic Butter Sauce
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese grated
- chopped scallions Optional, for serving
- In a large mixing bowl, coat the wings with all of the dry seasoning listed under the wings section. If you have the time, cover the bowl and refrigerate for an hour. If not, just bake it.
- Prep a large baking sheet by lining with aluminum foil. Nest an oven safe wire rack in the baking sheet. Spray the wire rack with cooking spray.
- Place the chicken wings one at a time on to the wire rack. Make sure they are spaced at least an inch apart so there is room for all of the sides of the wings to get even heat. Bake at 425° for 30-40 minutes. Remove from oven, allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan. Add honey and minced garlic, stir to combine.
- Place the cooked and cooled wings in a large mixing bowl, pour the garlic butter sauce over the wings and gently toss to coat.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese (and scallions if using). Serve warm with your favorite ranch or buffalo dipping sauce.