The weather is getting colder, the leaves are changing colors, every front porch is getting decorated with new seasonal decor! So as the fall season is under way, what are you most looking forward to??
For me, it's totally the food!! I love all of the warm weather foods: chili, soups, pumpkin spice everything, all of the apple desserts! but the food I most look forward to is the game day grub! I mean can you really beat wings and nachos? There is never a time that I could not go for wings..or nachos, or cheese fries!
Back to the subject at hand, which is these amazing crispy oven baked curry masala wings! This is one of my go-to recipe for wings right now. Don't turn away because its not deep fried. Believe me, you will not miss that grease! It's all about the technique of the bake. These wings are not soft or soggy at all, they are crispy all around!
How to bake wings to get them to be crispy?
- Equipment: Baking sheet lined with aluminum foil & oven safe wire rack that is nested in the baking sheet
- The aluminum foil is just to make the clean up process a breeze. But if you've ever tried to scrub a baking pan before, you know it is essential! Then spray the wire rack with cooking spray so the wings do not stick.
- Space out the wings on the wire rack. Air circulation is key here!
- Bake at a high temperature (I use 425°)
- Don't mess with them once they're in the oven until they're done! - Do NOT flip, turn or even peek at the wings until the timer goes off!
Then there is also the flavor or spice blend. If you bake your wings with this wire rack technique you are pretty much set! The wings will have this amazing crispy bite to them! Add some salt and pepper and you're good. But this recipe is for curry masala marinated wings. In order to get the flavor, I used a curry powder blend and enhanced the spice blend with garlic, ginger and garam masala.
Last note on these wings, devour them! But really you can serve these curry masala wings with your favorite dipping sauce: hot sauce, ranch, blue cheese or even your favorite chutney! Like this Jalapeno Cilantro Chutney! My favorite is to alternate between a funky blue cheese dip and a nice spicy cilantro chutney.
Crispy Oven Baked Curry Masala Wings
- 2 lb chicken wings
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 2 teaspoon garlic paste or 2 cloves minced
- 2 teaspoon ginger paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Juice of 1 lime
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all of the olive oil, spices and seasonings. Mix well, it will form a paste.
- Add in the chicken wings, mix well so all of the wings get an even coating of the spice paste. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for an hour.
- Prep a large baking sheet by lining with aluminum foil. Nest an oven safe wire rack in the baking sheet. Spray the wire rack with cooking spray.
- Place the chicken wings one at a time on to the wire rack. Make sure they are spaced at least an inch apart so there is room for all of the sides of the wings to get even heat.
- Bake at 425° for 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven, allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Serve warm with your favorite dipping sauce or chutney and extra lime wedges if you want!