Now that grilling season is in full swing, you know we grilling up a ton of corn! This is definitely our hands down favorite way to enjoy corn! This Mexican street corn salad is just so so good!! It's creamy, salty, a hint of spicy and sweet with all that corn! I mean I thought I loved buttery corn with lime and chili powder, but having it this way with the mayo and cheese and jalapeños, really just takes corn to another level!
All I need is a Jalapeño Margarita to start enjoying my summer meals!
What's Mexican Street Corn?
Mexican street corn (also known as Elote) is a type of corn on the cob snack that is served by street vendors in Mexico City. Elote is served covered in butter, mayonnaise, cotija cheese and chili powder.
What's in Mexican Street Corn Salad?
Pretty much the same ingredients that are served with Mexican street corn on the cob, but I prefer to serve this corn off the cob.
- Grilled Corn - cut off the cob
- Mayonnaise - the creamy, salty base (almost like a replacement for butter in traditional corn on the cob)
- Lime - I like to get the maximum flavor from it, so I use both the zest and juice
- Garlic - just 1 clove and it really gives changes the flavor of the mayo and lime which I think is the base of the "dressing"
- Parmesan cheese - You can use Cotija cheese for a more authentic flavor, but I always have parmesan cheese on hand and just always use it for this dish
- Jalapeño - deseeded and diced finely, because you want a little heat but not too much every bite!
- Scallions - also finely diced, gives a great mild onion flavor!
- Cilantro - optional, omit it if you don't like the flavor, I like to add it for that additional freshness it provides
- Seasoning - Smoked Paprika, Cumin, Salt & Pepper (use only only after tasting)
Can I use corn that's not grilled?
Definitely! You don't need grilled corn. You can use any type of corn, even frozen or canned corn kernels if it's the off season. I would just heat up the corn in a pan with a touch of butter. Get a bit of color on them and you're all set.
How do I prepare this salad?
It really could not be easier to make this Mexican street corn salad! Just prep all of the ingredients, cut the veggies, juice and zest the lime, get the seasoning ready. Dump it in a bowl, stir to combine and that's it! It is really that easy!!
Mexican Street Corn
- 3-4 ears of corn grilled, corn cut off the cob
- 3 scallions diced
- 1 jalapeno diced
- 1 garlic clove grated
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 lime juice and zested
- 2 tablespoons cilantro chopped
- salt & pepper
- Cut the corn off the cobs and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine mayonaisse, garlic, lime zest, lime juice, parmesan cheese, cumin, smoked paprika, scallions, jalapenos, and cilantro. Stir to combine.
- Add in corn and stir to coat the corn with the mixture. Taste for salt and pepper, serve immediately.