Game day nachos to add to the lineup! I gave the classic nachos an upgrade today by putting a BBQ twist on it. Specifically an BBQ chicken pizza twist! Here's an easy to prep and even easier to devour BBQ chicken nachos recipe!
I love the seasoning blend for this recipe. It's just the perfect balance of smoky, sweet and savory. I use the seasoning mix to flavor the chicken but then I save a little bit of it to flavor up the tortilla chips! Sprinkle the extra seasoning mix on the chips and get barbecue flavored tortilla chips!! Its that additional sweet and smoky flavor that permeates throughout every layer that really take these nachos to the next level!
Here's what is in my BBQ seasoning mix:
- brown sugar
- smoked paprika
- garlic powder
- ground cumin
- chili powder
- black pepper
BBQ Chicken Nachos for an Easy Game Day Snack!
Not just for game day either, we had these BBQ chicken nachos for dinner the other and no one felt any amount of guilt! Plus it's pretty simple, but super flavorful and easy to throw together!
The only real work involved is the chicken (and of course if you're looking for a shortcut to this recipe, grab a rotisserie chicken and you'll be all set.) But I do really love this seasoning and the texture that you get from the just roasted chicken.
Once the chicken is seasoned and cooked, just shred it, sauce it with some barbecue sauce and set it aside.
Now on to the toppings! The reason everyone loves nachos is because of how much you can trash it up with the toppings! So think of all your favorite barbecue chicken pizza toppings and go crazy with it!!
- Cheese! - First there's mozzarella
- More Cheese! - there's also gouda!!
- Veggies - Thinly sliced red onions
- A touch of greens - Chopped cilantro
- Make it extra saucy - Barbecue sauce
- Gotta have that spicy kick! - Pickled jalapeños and banana pepper
BBQ Chicken Nachos
BBQ seasoned Chicken
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 8 oz mozzarella cheese shredded
- 7 oz Gouda Cheese Shredded
- ¼ cup barbecue sauce
- ¼ cup red onion thinly sliced
- cilantro leaves finely chopped
- pickled jalapeños
- pickled banana peppers
- 9 oz tortilla chips
Baked BBQ Chicken
- Skip ahead to the assemble the nachos instructions if you are using rotisserie chicken.
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Line a baking sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl mix together all of the dry seasonings in the BBQ Chicken section. Divide the seasoning in half, set aside about one-third of the seasoning to use with the tortilla chips.
- Lay out the chicken breasts as flat as you can on the baking sheet, rub the remaining dry seasoning mix over each chicken breasts on both sides.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes. Remove the chicken from the oven and let them cool for at least 10 minutes. Shred the chicken breasts with your hands or rough chop into 1 inch bites, drizzle with 2 tablespoons of barbecue sauce and set aside.
Assemble the Nachos
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- In a foil lined baking sheet or baking pan, place tortilla chips in a single layer in the pan. Sprinkle half of your reserved BBQ seasoning mix over the chips. Then sprinkle half of the mozzarella cheese, gouda cheese and BBQ shredded chicken.
- Place another layer of tortilla chips and repeat the previous layer: BBQ seasoning, mozzarella cheese, gouda cheese and BBQ shredded chicken.
- Bake for 5-6 minutes or until cheeses are melted through.
- Top with additional barbecue sauce, cilantro, red onion, jalapeños peppers and banana peppers, serve immediately.