Easy no-cook recipe for the super popular Indian sweet!Jump to Recipe
I just love this recipe for white chocolate orange saffron burfi! Not only are the flavors familiar but they are still unique enough that everyone will be wow-ed with one bite! But the recipe involves no cooking, every step is in the microwave!
What is Burfi?
Burfi is an Indian sweet/dessert that is like a milk fudge. It is made with milk, sugar and ghee (clarified butter), then seasoned with cardamom, saffron, or nuts. When serving for festivities such as Diwali or weddings or other religious ceremonies, the burfi is usually decorated with edible silver or gold foil.
What is in this Orange Saffron Burfi?
- dry milk powder
- sweetened condensed milk
- saffron threads
- orange extract & orange zest
- Topped with: white chocolate, pistachios, orange zest
How do you make White Chocolate Orange Saffron Burfi?
First of all, its a no-cook recipe, so do not worry about getting a pot. Just grab a microwaveable bowl!
- In a small microwaveable bowl heat up milk and saffron. Once the milk is warmed, gently squeeze the saffron threads to release the color into the milk, set aside.
- In a large microwaveable bowl, heat up ghee. Once the ghee is melted, add the milk powder, sweetened condensed milk, mix everything together and pop it in the microwave again. You're going to microwave this mixture for about 2 minutes but in 30 second - 1 minute intervals, so you can check on the mixture and stir in between.
- After 2 minutes, add in the orange extract and orange zest and microwave for another minute.
- Mix it one last time pour the mixture into a small container. I like to line the container with plastic wrap or parchment paper for easy removal once its all set.
- Melt white chocolate chips or melting wafers in a microwaveable bowl, once melted pour the white chocolate over the orange saffron burfi mixture. Immediately top with pistachios and other toppings.
- Refrigerate the container for 2 hours before removing, slicing into small squares and serving!
White Chocolate Orange Saffron Burfi
- 10-12 saffron
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 2 cups dry whole milk powder
- 14 oz sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- ½ teaspoon orange zest optional
- 1 cup white chocolate melting chips
- 1 tablespoon pistachios chopped
- Prepare a small flat pan (cake pan, loaf pan, etc.) with plastic wrap or parchment paper, set aside.
- In a small bowl, add milk and saffron threads. Microwave for 30 seconds. Remove from microwave, using a spoon or your fingers, gently squeeze the saffron threads to release the color into the milk, set aside.
- In a large microwave safe bowl, melt ghee in the microwave (about 30 seconds).
- Add sweetened condensed milk and dry milk powder into the bowl with the melted ghee. Mix to combine. Microwave for 1 minute. Remove and mix mixture. Microwave for an additional 1 minute.
- Remove from microwave, add in soaked saffron threads with the milk, orange extract and orange zest (if using). Mix to combine. Return to microwave and heat for 1 additional minute.
- Scoop the burfi mixture into prepared pan (the plastic wrap with make it easy to pull out and cut after it cools). Let stand at room temperature for about 20 minutes to cool.
- If topping with chocolate drizzle: Melt chocolate wafers in a microwave safe bowl. Pour melted chocolate over the burfi and smooth. Quickly sprinkle over the chopped pistachios and any other topping you like. Refrigerate for 2 hours to set. Cut into 16 squares.