What's your favorite way to top your avocado toast? I love them every way, from super simple (salt, squeeze of lemon) to heavily topped like this egg bhurji avocado toast or spicy Indian scrambled eggs on avocado toast!
What's Egg Bhurji?
Egg bhurji is just an Indian version of scramble eggs. Eggs are spiced with turmeric, ground cumin and ground coriander. Most egg bhurji contain a mixture of vegetables like: onions, tomatoes, chili peppers, as well as fresh herbs likes cilantro.
Actually for most of my childhood, this was the only version of scrambled eggs that I even knew! lol It wasn't until I had breakfast outside that I saw scrambled eggs were actually just eggs and butter. Being an egg lover I had to try this new version of scrambled eggs! But then I also quickly had to reach for some black pepper and ketchup to "spice it up" because my tastebuds were not used to eating eggs flavored so simply.
Nowadays, I actually love a simple buttery scrambled egg with just a touch of salt (of course on a buttered toast). Its one of my go-to's for a simple, quick breakfast.
But when it comes time for lunch and I'm looking for some spice, I whip up this egg bhurji avocado toast! I have this at least twice a week. It is so perfect. Spicy, creamy, hearty! Lots of nutrients from the avocado, the eggs and the veggies. And although this dish doesn't really need a recipe I have typed up my version for you here!
You might also be interested in Spicy Chipotle Huevos Rancheros, Scallion and Cilantro Egg Salad, A Quick and Simple Homestyle Egg and Tomato Curry
Egg Bhurji Avocado Toast
- 1 avocado
- 2 bread slices
- 3 eggs
- ¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup onion diced
- ¼ cup tomato diced
- 2 small green chili peppers diced
- 1 scallion thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove grated
- ½ teaspoon ginger grated
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon cilantro chopped
- Toast bread and spread ½ avocado on each slice. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, crack eggs, add salt, turmeric, cumin and coriander. Whisk together and set aside.
- Add 1 tablespoon of cooking oil to a large fry pan on medium heat. Once oil heats up, add onion, tomato, green chili peppers, scallion whites and fry for about 3 minutes or until onions and tomatoes are slightly softened. Add ginger and garlic to the veggie mixture, stir and cook for an additional minute.
- Move the veggie mixture to one side of the fry pan, add butter and additional cooking oil to the empty side of the fry pan. Once butter melts, add the spiced, whisked eggs to the fry pan. Slowly mix the veggie mixture into the eggs. Using a spatula or rubber scraper, continue to keep moving the eggs from the edge of the pan towards the center and breaking up the egg mixture. Eggs should be cooked in about 3-5 minutes depending on your desired doneness. Remember to remove from heat, just before there are 100% set because they will continue cooking.
- Divide the egg mixture between the 2 toasts, top with chopped cilantro, scallion greens, hot sauce, spicy green chutney and serve immediately!
Leave a Reply