Here's an easy hack to get warm, fresh baked bread on the table with just 5 simple ingredients. So the secret ingredient for this easy rosemary garlic focaccia is refrigerated pizza dough! Yup, its not five ingredients meaning, flour, yeast, salt, sugar...It is pizza dough, olive oil and toppings!! I'm sure you've seen many recipes using pizza dough as garlic knots or calzones, but this one is one my favorites. Check out how simple this is and how amazing it looks!
This is "recipe" may not be for seasoned bakers. But it is definitely for all of the non-bakers looking to wow their family and friends. It is for anyone who takes on an extensive dinner menu thinking they can do it all, cringes at the thought of opening store bought packaged dinner rolls but knows that they do not have the time or energy. Because this luckily does not require much time or energy. It requires less than 10 minutes of actually hands on time!
5 Super Simple Ingredients:
- Pre-made pizza dough - can be found in the refrigerated sections of most supermarkets
- Olive oil
- Fresh rosemary sprig
- Coarse sea salt
So here's what you do:
- Olive oil in a cake pan - The olive oil at the bottom of the pan helps to form a nice crust at the bottom and keeps it from sticking to the pan. I used a 9 inch round, but you can use 8 inch or 9 inch, round or square. If you are looking for a flatter focaccia bread, use a larger cake pan.
- Lightly knead the pizza dough into a ball, place into the oiled cake pan, press the dough to fit the pan.
- Place a kitchen towel over the cake pan and place in a warm location. Proof for 2 hours.
- Combine remaining olive oil, rosemary leaves, garlic in a small bowl, set aside. The flavors of the rosemary and garlic will infuse into the oil during this time.
- Once the dough is proofed, use your fingers to make indents into the dough.
- Brush the rosemary garlic olive oil over the surface of the focaccia dough. Make sure to get the oil into the dimples of the dough.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes. And that is it!!
Its kinda crazy how little effort goes in to making this and yet it looks this amazing! You can try different toppings as well. Other herbs like basil, thyme or oregano. Try different seasonings like black pepper, red pepper flakes, parmesan cheese, tomatoes, the possibilities are endless!
When this rosemary garlic focaccia comes out of the oven, it is so good it really doesn't even need butter to go with it. That's saying something from me, I absolutely love bread with butter!!! But you can serve with softened butter or seasoned olive oil. Or as a side to the basil garlic chicken lasagna or Spaghetti and Basil Garlic Chicken Meatballs!
Easy Rosemary Garlic Focaccia
- 1 pre-made pizza dough
- 3 tablespoon olive oil divided
- 1 rosemary sprig
- 2 garlic cloves
- ¼ coarse sea salt
- Spread 2 teaspoons of olive oil in a 9 inch round cake pan. Knead pizza dough into a round ball, place into the oiled cake pan, spread out to fit the pan.
- Place kitchen towel over pan, place the pan in a warm location to proof for about 2 hours.
- While the dough is proofing, coarsely chop the garlic and rosemary leaves. Combine olive oil, rosemary leaves and garlic in a small bowl. Set aside.
- After 2 hours, preheat oven 375°F. Use your fingers to make deep indents into the dough. Brush the rosemary garlic olive oil over the top of the dimpled dough. Sprinkle coarse sea salt over the top. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the golden brown on top.