This BEST masala chicken curry you could make at home on a weeknight! This is my go-to chicken curry recipe! I have been perfecting this for a couple years and my family devours it every time I make it! It has been a trial and error type of recipe. Lots of fails to get it just right, but this is the flavor and texture that hits exactly the right spot when I'm craving a simple chicken curry.
I have to emphasis this: this isn't an Indian chicken curry that you're used to. Its not chicken tikka masala or chicken butter chicken. It is actually not even my mom's chicken recipe.
But it is really delicious! And actually very easy to make! I break always it down into 3 easy sections whenever I make this:
- Prep the ingredients
- Get the sauce cooking. Blend the sauce, get it back in the pot.
- Add the chicken, cook the chicken and eat!
The Texture of this Sauce is Everything!!
The texture was the hardest part of me. I kept making really good tasting chicken, but the texture was usually too chunky and yet somehow watery. So the easiest solution, that for some reason took me years to come up with, was to just blend the sauce.
But the really trick to getting a thick, creamy, rich curry sauce is potatoes. I know you're thinking, 'but I do not see any potatoes there'. Well that's because the potatoes get cooked and blended with the sauce!!! That one potato makes the sauce absolutely luscious!
The seasoning for this weeknight masala chicken is pretty standard Indian masala.
- healthy amount of garam masala
- red chilli powder
- garlic - freshly grated
- ginger - freshly grated
- apple cider vinegar - adds that needed acidity, but gives it a hint of sweetness as well
- black peppercorns
- salt - to bring it all together
Do not forget the Quick Pickled Red Onions and basmati rice! It will make this the absolute most perfect easy weeknight meal!
You might also be interested in Spiced Chicken Keema Curry, A Quick and Simple Homestyle Egg and Tomato Curry, Chicken Tikka Masala Meatballs
Weeknight Masala Chicken
- 2 tablespoon oil
- ¼ teaspoon peppercorns
- ¼ teaspoon cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 14 oz canned tomato diced tomatoes
- 1 potato peeled and chopped
- 5 garlic cloves sliced
- 1 inch ginger sliced
- 2 teaspoon garam masala
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder use more for your desired level of heat
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup water
- 6 bone-in chicken chicken thighs skinless, cut each thigh into 3 or 4 pieces
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro optional, for garnish
- Heat cooking oil in a large pot to medium high. Add the whole spices: whole peppercorns, cloves, cinnamon stick to the oil. Allow to heat for about 1 minute so the spices can infuse into the oil.
- Add onion, stir and cook for about 1 minutes. Add entire can of tomatoes, potato, garlic, ginger and the dry seasoning: garam masala, ground cumin, turmeric, red chili powder and salt. Add in the apple cider vinegar and ½ cup of water. Stir to combine and cook for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from heat, allow to cool for a few minutes. Remove and discard the cinnamon stick. Either transfer the onion-tomato-potato masala mixture to a blender or use an immersion blender right in the pot. Blend until smooth, or you reach your desired consistency. Return the sauce/gravy to the same pot at medium high heat. (Use about ½ cup water to help get all of the sauce out of the blender)
- Add the chicken to the pot and cook for about 20-25 minutes. Add water if needed for the right consistency of sauce after the chicken is cooked, since the chicken releases water.
- Once the chicken is cooked, remove from heat, garnish with cilantro if using. Serve warm with naan or rice!
This looks beyond delicious! I am putting it on my meal plan for next week!
Thanks so much Sara! Let me know how you like it!
What a great recipe and love that it's easy enough to make for a mid-week meal. Love the tip about blending the sauce to get the right texture and also adding potatoes! That's genius! I would never have thought to do that to make it richer.
Thanks Amy! It really makes such a big difference to the sauce!
I love the way the pickled red onions are giving a lovely color. This recipe looks delicious and easy to make.
Thanks! Yes the pickled onions add such a pop of color and flavor! They're so good.
I love Indian food; however, cooking it can feel intimidating sometimes. However, you make it look so easy to follow and the end result looks so comforting for weeknights dinner.
Thanks Linda! It is actually so easy and comforting, because of the warm spices!
Masala chicken is such a lovely idea have not made this before, but I will try following your tips and recipe.
Thanks Adriana! Yes everyone always lean towards chicken tikka masala or butter chicken but this type of dish is just as special and less guilty too!
My family is so into anything with curry so I am adding this to our weekly menu list. They will be happy for this version.
Yes!! This is super family friendly! I hope you guys love it as much as we do!
Lovely recipe! Thanks for sharing! Have to try it soon!
Thanks Nora! Hope you enjoy!
This looks so yummy! We're eating low carb for lent so only cauliflower rice for us right now, but I bet this would be good with cauliflower rice too.
Yes cauliflower rice would work perfectly with this as well!
This recipe sounds delicious and easy!
My husband loves Masala chicken and this recipe did not disappoint. So flavourful, will definitely make again.
Thanks Deanna! So glad you liked it!
Love how easy this of to make. A little spicy treat for a weekday!
Thanks Sunrita! yes easy and flavorful for the week!
I usually make a butter chicken curry on weeknight but I'm going to try this instead. I love a curry so I can't wait to try it!
Yess!! Its a great change up!
This sounds so delicious and easy to make. It's the perfect dinner option for my boys. I will def make this. Thanks!
Thanks Natalie! Hope they enjoy it!
We make A LOT of Indian food, and this recipe is a perfect fit for my weeknight repertoire! Thank you for developing it.
Yes this should be a great change up too!
I have been in such a cooking rut lately this recipe is great for when you're in the mood for something a little different.
Hi Audrey, I hope you like it!
This is one of our favourite weeknight recipes! Easy to prepare, and very flavourful! Everyone is happy when it’s curry night
Yes, we love chicken curry too! So good and always a hit with everyone!
This is making my tummy growl!
Thanks! Its one of our favorite dinner dishes!