We wanted to spend a summer weekend just relaxing, enjoying each other's company and of course indulging in some good food! So we decided to spent a weekend in Newport, Rhode Island. It is a perfect summer town for a quick getaway. Right by the ocean which means it has gorgeous views. Just the right amount of attractions that are family friendly but not too many so its overwhelming for our little ones! As a family we are also big seafood lovers and Newport being in New England definitely delivers!
Keep scrolling, I have some of the restaurants we tried, the attractions we saw and things we missed that we'll try to see on our next visit! Also a ton of pictures!!
Great restaurants we tried while in Newport:
- Easton Beach Snack Bar - Lobster rolls, fish & chips (Plus its right on the ocean!!)...we really don't need anything else for a beach day lunch!
- The Mooring - An upscale seafood restaurant right on the marina. We tried for it lunch to beat the dinner crowds and the timing worked out perfectly for us. Try the bag of doughnuts (seafood fritters) and lobster roll! Kids meal includes fish and chips which is also amazing! Great New England clam chowder as well.
- Brick Alley Pub - Try the New England Clam Chowder! Plus really great lobster pasta dishes (Lobster Ravioli and Lobster Mac & Cheese) Come hungry the portions are huge here!
- The Red Parrot - An extensive menu! Great options for seafood that are not on your usual seafood menu (Seafood Pizza, Rhode Island style Calamari, Lobster Nachos) Great drinks as well! Really loved the New England clam chowder here! Its a super kid friendly option for dinner.
- Ma's Donuts - Located in nearby Middletown RI, have standard breakfast fare like donuts, bagels, breakfast sandwiches. The donuts were worth the wait, they are super fresh and just good! (lines are long but move fast! and I take that as a good sign!)
- Kilwin's - Ice cream, there multiple locations in Newport, the perfect after dinner treat! As soon as you walk into each location, you can smell warm waffle cones!
- Belle's Cafe - Right in the Newport Shipyard, Classic brunch options with a great view!
- Del's Lemonade- Frozen Lemonade, with lemon zest! Its a can't miss classic in this area.
- Liberty Donuts - Fresh Donuts! That you can watch being made!
- Cupcake Charlie's - A gourmet cupcake bakery, we tried their Cupcake Whirly, which is soft serve ice cream mixed with one of their gourmet cupcakes!
Although we may have spent the majority of our trip eating, we did get a chance to see more of Newport.
Some of the things we enjoyed during our trip:
Cliff Walk - its a 3.5 mile recreational trail that runs between the famous mansions in Newport and the NewEngland shoreline. We went with our toddler in a stroller, so we weren't able to complete the entire length of it, but we definitely some of the views. If you're looking for a short stroller accessible portion, try to enter the Cliff Walk at either Ruggles Ave or Shephard Ave. We are usually able to find parking around there and walk about ½ mile in either direction from that point.
Bowen's Wharf - A great shopping and dining destination that is just fun to walk around and sight see.
Easton Beach - A local beach, with public parking, snacks, a nearby Aquarium.
Other attractions we did not get to during this visit because we were too busy relaxing (and pigging out on lobster!):
Mansions - There are truly grandiose and amazingly beautiful but we felt it would be too hard to drag a toddler around a tour like this.
International Tennis Hall of Fame - We drove by this as we were heading out and it looked beautiful from the outside. So we're planning on stopping by on our next visit to Newport.
Aquarium - the Save the Bay - Exploration Center and Aquarium is right on Easton Beach which makes its really convenient to visit on your beach day there. But when your toddler is perfectly satisfied playing in the sand and splashing in the water, it makes no sense to drag him away from that! Maybe next time we check it out though!
Hope this helps you enjoy your weekend in Newport, Rhode Island!