I know you're getting tired of your usual tuna salad sandwiches right? You have to try this easy change up with tuna avocado toast! The easiest, quickest tuna sandwich makeover you need for your lunch lineup.
I actually grew up eating tuna, like canned tuna. But it wasn't the cold tuna sandwiches that I'm sure you're most familiar with. Nope, my childhood tuna memories was from my mom a tuna shaak or curry with onions, tomatoes and lots of masala (spices). I loved it. And of course I had to pretend I was still eating cold tuna salad sandwiches like my friends and so I would take her masala tuna and make myself a nice sandwich with mayo lol! So I know you're thinking eww! that's gross, but honestly its not.
Tuna, even canned tuna, especially in a good olive oil is really good with fresh herbs and veggies! Just paired with onions, tomatoes, garlic, and some herbs and its really amazing! You can add mayo if you want to, but I love switching the mayo out for avocado. Same creaminess but so much better for you.
Adding this amazing tuna to your avocado toast is a total game changer!
Since this is a lunch, I like to go heavy on the veggies but pretty light on the spices. It's definitely not as masala heavy as the versions my mom would make.
Tuna Avocado Toasts
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 tuna can packed in extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tomato diced
- 3 scallions thinly sliced
- 1-2 small green chilis
- 1 garlic freshly grated
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup cilantro chopped
- 1 lemon juice of
- 2 slices of bread
- 1 avocado sliced
- In a large frying pan, heat olive oil on medium high heat. Add tomato, scallions, garlic and green chili. Cook for about 3-4 minutes until mixture has softened. Add salt and cumin, stir to combine. Add entire can of tuna (including the olive oil from the can. Mix to incorporate everything together. You may have to break up the tuna into small chunks. Cook about another 3 minutes, to heat the tuna through.
- Remove from heat, add the chopped cilantro and squeeze the lemon over and gently mix everything together.
- Top toasted bread slices with avocado and tuna mixture.