Don't you think its time to take your banana bread to the next level? And by next level, I mean let's make it a chocolate lovers dream with this triple chocolate banana bread recipe! Super chocolatey flavor with cocoa powder and chocolate chips. But not just one kind, mix in some dark chocolate chips and milk chocolate chips to get that ultimate decadence your banana bread is currently missing.
What's so great about this triple chocolate banana bread?
It is a complete show stopper! Just the addition of the chocolate chips on top let everyone know how much chocolate decadence is going on inside!
It's easy to make and bake and even easier to bring along to a party! How you made a tray of cupcakes for a get together? Remember how hard they are to transport? There's zero concern about transport for this and its perfect for a brunch!
Easy Ingredients for an Epic Chocolate Banana Bread!
- Ripe Bananas - the riper the better, you want to grab them at the point where they pretty much look like over-ripe bananas on the outside. Once you open them up, the should be soft and sweet but not moldy!
- melted butter
- vanilla extract
- light brown sugar
- unsweetened cocoa powder
- all purpose flour
- baking soda
- baking powder
- chocolate chips - combination of dark chocolate and milk chocolate (or use your own favorite combination)
Becauce this is a banana bread recipe and not muffins, the entire baking process is so easy. Start with the bananas, mash them up really well with a fork. Add the remaining wet ingredients to this bowl. Then in another bowl combine all of the dry ingredients together, before adding the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. You want to do this separately so that you are not left with clumps of baking soda or flour in any part of the batter and so you are not overmixing the batter!
Once the wet and dry ingredients are combined, pour the batter into a 9X5-inch loaf pan that is lined with parchment or greased with non-stick cooking spray. Bake for 50-55 minutes on the middle rack. Let the banana bread rest in the loaf pan for at least 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. Slice and serve.
Pro tip: Serve it a la mode! Warm up a slice of this chocolate banana bread in the microwave for about 30 seconds and top it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!
What else can you add to banana bread?
Still looking for more ways to jazz up your next banana bread? Here's some other great flavor boosts that will work great with any banana bread!
- Nutella - no other explanation needed for this one! Also try serving your banana spread with a nice smear of Nutella on top!
- Peanut butter or any nut butter
- Nuts - Chopped crunchy walnuts, macadamia, peanuts. Perfect for additional texture
- Cinnamon or nutmeg or cardamon - these spices will definitely add a touch of warmth
Triple Chocolate Banana Bread
- 4 ripe bananas
- ⅓ cup butter melted
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¾ cup light brown sugar packed
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips
- ½ cup milk chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9x5-inch loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Mash bananas in a large bowl. Whisk in melted butter and oil to combine. Whisk in the egg, vanilla and brown sugar until smooth.
- In another bowl, whisk together all of the dry ingredients except the chocolate chips. Mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just combined. Mix in half of the chocolate chips (¼ cup of the dark chocolate, ¼ cup of the milk chocolate)
- Pour batter into prepared pan and top with remaining chocolate chips. Bake for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan before removing and serving.
Recipe adapted from double chocolate banana bread