What do you get when you combine these two dinnertime favorites: chicken tikka masala and stuffed shells?? Tikka masala stuffed shells!! Jumbo pasta shells filled with Indian spiced ground chicken, creamy cheeses and then coated in a luscious, tikka masala sauce.
Jumbo pasta shells filled with a cheesy tikka masala stuffing!
This recipe is a great for the whole family! The kids love it because its a cheesy pasta. My husband is happy with any delicious, spicy, meaty meal! And I love that its so flavorful!
For the base of the filling, I used ground chicken for this recipe. But you can use any meat, meat alternative or even tofu/veggie alternative that resembles a crumbly texture. (Cauliflower or paneer would be great substitutions)
First, season the meat by sautéing with fresh, aromatic veggies: onions, garlic, ginger and green chillies. Then add a dry spice blend: garam masala! Lastly, coat with a creamy, spicy tikka masala sauce. Just layers upon layers of flavor!!
Then that spicy chicken tikka filling is combined with a delicious mixture of cheeses! I think you're beginning to understand why these tikka masala stuffed shells are a family favorite.
- Chili Peppers
- Ground Chicken
- Cheese - Mozzarella, Parmesan and Ricotta cheeses
- Jumbo Pasta Shells - (also called conchiglioni) I like to use either jumbo shells or manicotti so they can be filled. Shells are easier to fill (because manicotti is tube shaped and takes some extra work to fill) so I do reach for them first though.
- Tikka Masala Sauce - I used this one, its a great shortcut method to make this pasta. And on busy weeknights, I need all the shortcuts I can get!
How to make Tikka Masala Stuffed Shells
- Boil Pasta. Cook the shells according to the package directions and set aside.
- Make Filling. Sauté onions, garlic, ginger, chilis until softened. Add in the ground chicken and crumble until cooked (no longer pink), season with garam masala and salt. Add in the tikka masala sauce to the chicken and simmer for a few minutes.
- Grate Cheese. Freshly grated cheeses just melt better (which means a creamier baked pasta flavor. Combine the mozzarella, parmesan and creamy ricotta cheeses together in a bowl and add in some of the chicken tikka mixture
- Assemble. Fill the cooked shells with a 1-2 tablespoons of the cheesy chicken tikka filling and place into a large baking pan. Top the shells with the remaining tikka sauce and mozzarella and parmesan cheeses.
- Bake. Cover the baking pan and bake for 25-20 minutes.
- Enjoy! Looking for something to serve with these shells? Check out: Easy Rosemary Garlic Focaccia
Tikka Masala Stuffed Shells with Chicken
Chicken Tikka Filling
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion diced
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1 inch ginger grated
- 2 green chili peppers minced
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 12 ounces tikka masala sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 15 ounces ricotta cheese
- ½ cup parmesan cheese grated, divided
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese grated, divided
For the pasta
- 20 jumbo shells
- ¼ cup cilantro chopped, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°F and prepare a 9x13" baking pan by spraying it with cooking spray, set aside.
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Heat oil in a medium skillet on medium high heat. Saute onion, garlic, ginger and chili peppers for 2 minutes or until softened.
- Add ground chicken, cook and crumble for about 10 minutes until the chicken is no longer pink. Add garam masala and salt to the mixture, stir to combine and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add tikka masala sauce, stir and let the mixture simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, combine ricotta cheese, half of the grated parmesan cheese and half of the grated mozzarella cheese. Mix to combine. Then add in half of the chicken masala mixture to the cheese.
- Fill each jumbo pasta shell with a tablespoon of the cheese and chicken filling and place them in the baking pan.
- Pour remaining chicken masala sauce over the shells, sprinkle remaining cheeses over the shells. Cover the pan with aluminum foil, bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve warm.