with Chipotle Tandoori Mayo and Tadka Onions
If you love spicy seafood (specifically spicy crab), you are going to love these tandoori crab cake sliders! They are seasoned with ginger, garlic, cilantro and tandoori seasoning! And yet, that spice and seasoning does not mask the crab at all!
Tandoori Seasoned Crab Cakes!
For me, the sweetness of crab is best complimented with spice! So I love to add a ton of flavor to seafood dishes. Garlic and cilantro are a must!! But to give the crab cakes a true tandoori flavor you must also add fresh ginger and tandoori seasoning (or garam masala or curry powder if you can't find a good tandoori seasoning mix).
The mayonnaise, egg and cracker crumbs are needed to bind the cakes together. You can definitely use breadcrumbs in place of the cracker crumbs but I mean just think about the flavors! Buttery crushed crackers or dried not-buttery breadcrumbs? Convinced yet? And since these crab cakes are baked, there's no guilt over excessive oil, so you can definitely splurge a little on the cracker crumbs!
But of course there is the addition of ghee! So yea, I mean this step is definitely optional. You don't have to generously brush the tops of the crab cakes with melted ghee. Unless you're me, and feel it IS absolutely necessary! (It is optional, but I highly recommend it!!). The lemon juice at the end is required though...(no, that's optional too, but a squeeze of lemon over seafood is just SO good!)
Chipotle Tandoori Mayo
Every crab cake needs a remoulade sauce paired with it. Remoulade sauce is a mayonnaise based sauce that is kicked up a few notches with seasoning and spiced. With these tandoori crab cakes, I feel like its only fitting to have a tandoori spiced mayo or remoulade sauce that's creamy, spicy, smokey and a bit sweet. The addition of the chipotle peppers really give this sauce a smokey kick! Don't forget to add a touch of the adobo sauce from the chipotle peppers, as well as a finely diced adobo marinated chipotle pepper. Believe me, the heat and flavor is just want you need with these crab cakes!
To complete, these scrumptious tandoori crab cake sliders you just need a crunchy bite! I love these tadka onions (or seasoned fried onions) because they add that slight crunch, compliment the flavors of the tandoori seasoning but don't overpower in taste or texture! Its a just a simple fried onion in mustard seeds and curry leaves. The onions get a little sweet (perfect with the sweet crabmeat!) and a little crunchy. But best of all, it also loses that raw onion taste.
Now grab yourself some soft slider buns and make these tandoori crab sliders tonight!!
For more spicy seafood recipes check out Sun-Dried Tomato Crab Spaghetti with Chili Garlic Oil, Spicy Tomato Garlic Salmon, Shrimp Tikka Masala with Gobi Grits, Spicy Lemon Herb Tuna Wrap
Tandoori Crab Cake Sliders
Tandoori Crab Cakes
- 1 lb lump crabmeat
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons whole grain mustard
- 2 garlic cloves grated
- 1 teaspoon ginger grated
- 2 teaspoons Tandoori seasoning
- lemon juice
- 10 butter crackers crushed to crumbs
- 2 tablespoons cilantro chopped
- 2 tablespoons ghee melted, for brushing the crab cakes after baked
Chipotle Tandoori Mayo
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon chipotle sauce in adobo
- 1 chipotle pepper finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon tandoori seasoning
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cilantro chopped
- 1 teaspoon honey
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- ¼ teaspoon mustard seeds
- 10 curry leaves
- pinch asafoetida optional
- 1 red onion thinly sliced
Other Ingredients for Sliders
- slider buns
Tikka Crab Cakes
- Whisk together egg, mayonnaise, mustard, garlic, ginger, tandoori seasoning, lemon juice. Gently fold in the crabmeat, cracker crumbs and cilantro. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 450°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Use a ¼ cup measuring cup to portion out the crab cakes and place onto parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 12-14 minutes.
- Brush ghee on the crab cakes and squeeze lemon juice over. Serve warm with Chipotle Tandoori Mayo and Curry Onions.
Chipotle Tandoori Mayo
- Combine all ingredients for chipotle tandoori mayo in a small bowl. Whisk everything until combined, set aside in the refrigerator before serving.
- Heat oil in a small fry pan. Once oil heats up, add mustard seeds to oil. Allow to crackle for a minute. Add a pinch of asafoetida and curry leaves (be careful of oil splatter from the leaves), fry for about a minute.
- Add sliced onions and stir to coat the onions in the seasoned oil. Fry for about 4 minutes, remove from heat and set aside to serve with crab cakes.
Mama Maggie's Kitchen
You're making me hungry... I think I just heard my tummy growl. lol!
That makes me so happy to hear!