I feel drawn in by the colors of this rainbow sweet and spicy turmeric coleslaw, but then I keep going back because its so good too! Perfectly crunchy and right balance of sweet, savory, spicy and sour. Along with shredded red cabbage, there is sliced apples, carrots, scallions and cilantro. So simple!! And then a super quick but spicy turmeric dressing that adds a beautiful golden hue to the coleslaw.
What is in a sweet and spicy coleslaw?
Actually this coleslaw is a delicious way to use up leftover bags of cabbage and veggies that you have lying around. Its just a handful of simple ingredients!
- Shredded red cabbage - grab the pre-shredded bags for quick and easy prep
- Carrots - again pre shredded will work just fine for this salad, but you can also grate 1 or 2 carrots for this
- Scallions - for a nice mild onion flavor
- Green apples - thinly sliced for a nice sweet, slightly sour crunch
- Cilantro - pairs perfectly with the ginger and garlic in the dressing
How do you make a turmeric dressing
Just need some simple ingredients:
- Mayo - Vegan mayonnaise or regular mayo work this recipe. You can also use Greek yogurt for a nice tangy flavor
- Turmeric - this beautiful golden hued spice, provides an earthy flavor that is similar to a milder ginger
- Ginger - freshly grated ginger really helps to elevate the earthiness of the turmeric
- Garlic - freshly grated garlic really makes the dressing zing
- Apple Cider Vinegar - for a sweet vinegar that pairs perfectly with all of the flavors in this slaw
- Sugar - to balance out the sour and spice
What do serve this sweet and spicy turmeric coleslaw with?
This sweet and spicy turmeric slaw is the perfect salad for the summer. You can serve it all summer long for cookouts, barbecues or potlucks. It's great as a topping to tacos, wraps, burgers or even on its own. Its really great paired with seafood, grilled veggies or chicken.
You might also be interested in:
- Baked Masala Fish Tacos
- Tandoori Crab Cake Sliders
- Perfectly Grilled Shrimp
- Citrus Avocado Jalapeno Bowl
Sweet and Spicy Turmeric Slaw
Sweet & Spicy Coleslaw
- 3 cups red cabbage shredded
- 1 carrots grated
- 1 granny smith apple thinly sliced
- 2 scallions thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons cilantro chopped
- ½ cup mayonaisse vegan or regular
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon ginger freshly grated
- 1 clove garlic freshly grated
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- In a medium bowl, add all of the vegetables for the coleslaw, gently toss to combine.
- In a small mixing bowl, add all of the ingredients for the turmeric dressing. Whisk to combine.
- Drizzle the turmeric dressing over the coleslaw mix and serve immediately for a crispy bite, chill for up to 4 hours for a softer texture.