These strawberry crunch cupcakes have all of the flavors of a strawberry shortcake popsicle! And its all thanks to a super easy to make but flavor packed strawberry crunch topping! I used the strawberry crunch topping to transform an off the shelf strawberry flavored box cake mix into these stunning, strawberry shortcake popsicle flavored cupcakes.
What is Strawberry Crunch Topping?
Strawberry crunch topping is made with just 2 ingredients!
- Vanilla creme sandwich cookies - like Golden Oreos or any vanilla cream filled sandwich cookie
- Freeze dried strawberries- they provide an intense, natural strawberry flavor and a nice hot pink color too!
What special equipment do you need to make Strawberry Crunch Topping?
Food Processor - that's all you need to quickly crush the cookies and freeze dried strawberries into little crumbs. Toss the vanilla cream filled cookies and the strawberries into the food processor together and in about 30 seconds, your strawberry crunch topping is ready!
How do I used this topping?
Bake the cupcakes as per the package instructions and frost them with your favorite vanilla icing. Here are my recommendations
- Strawberry cake mix - you can also use white or yellow cake base. Actually you can even just grab some pre-made vanilla frosted cupcakes!
- Vanilla frosting - If you're using a store bought frosting tub, I recommend thinning down it with a few teaspoons of milk for easier handling. You do not need a ton of frosting but it will act as the glue for the crunch topping.
Of course, you can also use this strawberry crunch topping for other easy desserts too! You can of course use this topping on a sheet cake instead of individual cupcakes. But also I think it would the perfect topping to some strawberry sorbet for a homemade strawberry shortcake sundae.
For more strawberry infused desserts, you might want to check out:
Strawberry Crunch Cupcakes
- 1 strawberry cake mix you can also use white or yellow cake mix
- 1 cup milk
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup melted butter
Strawberry Crunch Topping
- 10 vanilla creme sandwich cookies
- 6 ounces freeze dried strawberries
- 1 tub vanilla frosting
- 3-4 teaspoons milk optional
- Preheat oven 350°F. Line cupcake pan with cupcake liners, set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the cake mix, milk, eggs, butter. Blend with an electric mixer on low speed until combined. Scrap down bowl and blend on medium speed until fully combined.
- Scoop batter into cupcake liners. About ¼ cup of batter in each liner or until about ⅔ full. Bake for 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool completely before frosting.
Strawberry Crunch Topping
- Add the vanilla creme sandwich cookies and freeze dried strawberries to a food processor. Pulse for about 30 seconds until it becomes coarse crumbs.
- Pour the mixture into a small bowl and set aside.
Assemble the Cupcakes
- Check the consistency of the frosting. Add a teaspoon of milk and thin the frosting a bit. It should smooth and easily spreadable
- Use an offset spatula to frost the cupcakes. Dip the cupcakes (frosting side down) into the bowl of strawberry crunch topping. Repeat for the rest of the cupcakes.