Indian Spiced Yogurt Drink
Spicy masala chaas is a classic Indian beverage made with yogurt or buttermilk and flavored with spices and fresh herbs. This spicy version is flavored with chili peppers, cilantro, toasted cumin, chaat masala and black salt.
I have always loved chaas! It is always a favorite summer beverage of mine, so cooling and refreshing. Something about the cold yogurt drink that's actually spicy and savory instead of sweet is so surprising and addictive! Almost like an Indian (and non-alcoholic) version of a bloody mary!
What is Chaas?
Chaas is an Indian beverage made with yogurt or buttermilk and cold water. The yogurt and water are blended together to create a a drinkable beverage. It is a savory drink most enjoyed in the summer months because of its cooling effects. It is also known to have digestive benefits and therefore often served after meals.
Chaas vs Lassi?
It is similar to lassi, but more diluted with water and savory rather than sweet. Classic lassi flavors are sweet, mango and salted. Meanwhile chaas is known to made traditionally with savory seasonings such as: salt, cumin (jeera), chilli peppers, cilantro, mint, black salt, asafoetida, ginger, and curry leaves. It like a battle of sweet vs spicy!
You might also be interested in Mango Lassi Parfait
Serve with: Easy Pani Puri Chaat Salad, Chaat Masala Mixed Nuts, Dabeli Sliders with Pomegranate Relish
Ingredients in Spicy Masala Chaas
- Yogurt - I like to use full fat regular plain yogurt. If using Greek yogurt, I would add more water.
- Water - amount depends on the consistency you're looking for. Start with a little and add more as needed!
- Cumin - I love to keep a jar of toasted cumin seeds that I grind up in my spice cabinet. It is perfect in chaas and chutneys (and much more!)
- Chaat Masala - you can make your own blend or buy it store bought. This one by MTR is a great blend
- Chili pepper - fresh green chillis add a nice kick! Omit completely if you are not looking for that type of heat. Or add more if you're looking for a super spicy kick.
- Cilantro - I love to add just a few fresh leaves into this chaas. It adds are great fresh flavor and makes the chaas this beautiful green color.
- Black Salt or regular salt - if you're using black salt, use just a pinch because it packs a punch of sulphuric salty flavor. It is easily available in Indian grocery stores or online.
How to make Spicy Masala Chaas?
This spicy masala chaas is made with such simple ingredients and easy preparation you can enjoy fresh chaas in minutes! I like to just throw all of the ingredients into a blender, puree everything for about 30 seconds and serve! It's really just that easy!
Spicy Masala Chaas
- 1 cup whole milk yogurt plain
- ½ cup water
- 1 green chili pepper
- 1 tablespoon cilantro leaves
- ½ teaspoon chaat masala
- ½ teaspoon cumin toasted and ground
- ¼ teaspoon black salt
- Add all ingredients to blender. Blend until smooth. (Taste for salt and spice)
- Serve the spicy masala chaas chilled
The recipe looks great. Where did you get the glasses? They're beautiful!
Thank you! They're actually kinda old, one of those purchases from long ago just sitting around until I discovered them in the basement lol. Possibly Macy's or Bed Bath & Beyond
Wow, superb blog layout! How long have you been blogging for? you make blogging look easy. The overall look of your site is fantastic, let alone the content!
Thank you so much!