Hey! Its October! And what better way to enjoy the season than these soft pumpkin chai snickerdoodles! These cookies are so soft and perfectly spiced!
The start of Fall is always such a conflicting time for me. I'm still nostalgic about the hot days of summer and icy drinks but then I'm loving the crisp weather and all things pumpkin spice! But then just as I start enjoying all the apple picking and Fall festivities, I'm always apprehensive about the Holiday season that seems to be creeping in all too quickly lol.
But then I grab a couple of these soft pumpkin chai snickerdoodles along with a hot cup of chai, and I'm back to enjoying the present moment! Yea these cookies will do that!! They're so good, they really make you forget about everything for a few minutes!
For more Fall spiced treats: Caramel Apple Hand Pies,Apple Cinnamon Coffee Cake with Streusel Topping, Apple Cheesecake Tart with Almond Shortbread Crust
What are snickerdoodle cookies?
Some people think of snickerdoodles as just a cinnamon and sugar rolled sugar cookie. But actually it is a completely different cookie base altogether. The key difference being the cream of tartar in the cookie dough. the cream of tartar gives the cookie a fluffy texture versus the classic crumbly texture of a sugar cookie. The cookie dough is rolled in a cinnamon sugar mixture before baking to provide a nice crackly texture on the exterior.
These pumpkin chai snickerdoodles do not have cream of tartar but they are super fluffy and moist because of the pumpkin puree in the dough! The cookie dough is flavored with cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and cardamom. Then instead of just cinnamon and sugar, the cookie are rolled in chai spiced sugar before baking!
Some Important Tips about Baking these Pumpkin Chai Snickerdoodles
- Chilling the dough is super important! The dough is so soft! It will be difficult to portion out the dough and roll into balls will be tough without the chilling time.
- Press down the rolled cookie dough balls, they will not spread out much. Make sure to flatten out the dough for even baking.
- Mix together all of the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, spices, salt) in a large bowl and set aside.
- Start by mixing together the sugars and butter. Get the butter and sugar mixture super fluffy before adding in the rest of the wet ingredients! Mix for 1-2 minutes.
- Roll the cookie dough balls in the chai spiced sugar mixture before baking so they bake with a crackly sugar crust!
You might also be interested in Chai Spiced Banana Donuts, Peach Ginger Chai Pastry,Chai and Biscuits Ice Cream (No-Churn)
Soft Pumpkin Chai Snickerdoodles
Pumpkin Snickerdoodle Cookies
- 3¾ cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ¼ teaspoon grated nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup butter softened
- ½ cup brown sugar packed
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¾ cup pumpkin puree
Chai Spice Sugar
- ½ cup sugar
- 1½ teaspoons chai spice
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and spices. Whisk together then set aside.
- In an electric mixer using a paddle attachment, cream together sugars and softened butter for 1 - 2 minutes or until soft and fluffy.
- Add in the vanilla, egg and pumpkin puree, whisk until combine. Start slowy adding in the dry mixture a little at a time. Whisk and then add more dry until the dry mixture is fully incorporated.
- Chill the dough for 1 hour. Combine sugar and chai spice in a small bowl or dish, set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper set aside.
- Portion out the dough in 1-2 tablespoon balls. Roll the dough into ball and then into the spiced sugar to coat. Place the sugared cookie dough on the parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes (10 minutes for 1 tablespoon sized scoops, 15 for 2 tablespoon sized scoops). Transfer cookies to cooling rack.
Leave a Reply