Forget about the boxed cookies mixes! Just grab the little bits of ingredients you need to make these cookies and have fresh baked cookies in 20 minutes! It literally takes minutes and 1 small mixing bowl (plus a rubber spatula) to make these small batch funfetti chip cookies!
How fun are these small batch funfetti chip cookies! I mean I know that its just a basic chocolate chip cookie recipe with white chocolate funfetti chips instead of regular chocolate. But let me remind of the sprinkles!! Adding sprinkles to anything just makes it more fun right?!
What Ingredients do you need for Funfetti Chip Cookies?
- Flour - I typically use all purpose flour, you can also substitute with gluten free flours
- Sugar - I like to combine brown sugar and white granulated sugars for the best chew
- Butter - unsalted butter that is softened to the point that its almost melted
- Vanilla - Vanilla extract to give it a nice floral sweet flavor
- Chocolate chips - preferably white or funfetti chips, but you can use any chips that you prefer or have on hand. I used these funfetti chips, they have a vanilla cake flavor and are bright and colorful
- Egg - You just need 1 egg yolk for this recipe, because it is a small batch even a whole egg would add too much liquid
- Salt - to cut through the sweetness, just a pinch!
- Baking powder - to help the cookies rise
- Sprinkles - of course, these are funfetti cookies after all!!
How do you make Small Batch Chocolate Chip Cookies?
Really its just about reducing the quantities of each of the ingredients to make a smaller batch. But its also important to have quantities that make sense.
Why Use an Egg Yolk in the Cookie Recipe?
Obviously the hardest ingredient is the eggs. Cutting down 2 eggs to 1 is a no-brainer. But when you're looking for less than a whole egg, its a bit trickier.
Egg yolks are used in these recipe to yield a rich, dense, fudgey texture. If instead you were to incorporate the egg white, it would require that you whip the egg whites to in corporate air but it would actually yield puffier cookies, more cake-like.
Small Batch Funfetti Chip Cookies
- ¼ cup butter softened
- ¼ cup light brown sugar packed
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup + 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- ½ cup white chocolate chips I also use funfetti chips
- 1 tablespoon sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a small microwave safe bowl, place butter and microwave heat at 10-15 second intervals until butter is softened and almost melted. Mine microwave takes 30 seconds for ¼ cup of butter.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine softened butter and sugars with a rubber spatula until the completely combined. Add in egg yolk and vanilla and mix to combine.
- Mix in flour, baking soda and salt. Add the chocolate chips and sprinkles and mix in.
- Scoop 2 tablespoons of cookie dough onto the parchment lined baking sheet, placing each cookie about 2 inches apart. Bake for about 10-12 minutes. Let cookies cool on the pan for 5 minutes. Remove to cooling rack.