I love transforming leftover rice! I feel like it gives the grain an entirely new look and taste. Its always the best and easiest makeover! This scallion garlic Indian fried rice is one of my faves! Its super flavorful and so easy to make!
What spices are in this fried rice?
- mustard seeds
With all of these whole spices flavoring the rice, believe me no one will remember that you are using leftover rice. It will taste nothing like plain rice!
The simplicity of this dish
It's not a veggie fried rice! There's almost not vegetables in this rice at all! Although I do love a Indian Fried Rice (Vagharelo Bhaat). I just love that this dish is completely flavored by the spices. The cinnamon, cloves and peppercorn provide such a warm and familiar flavor! (These are the basis of most Indian curry dishes)
Now you can definitely add all of the veggies you want into here. But I like keeping this one simple! Plus it does make it so much quicker and easier when I don't have additional vegetables to peel and chop! Its the reason why this dish is so super quick to prepare!
Its super versatile!
This rice can be paired with anything really! I works really well with any Indian main dish, whether you're serving potatoes, chicken, or seafood! Or its great as is too. My kids love having this with a little bit of yogurt and extra lemon juice! Or even try it a nice Jalapeno Cilantro Chutney!
Scallion Garlic Indian Fried Rice
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 stick cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon cloves
- ½ teaspoon black peppercorn
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cloves garlic minced
- ½ inch ginger grated
- 2 scallion thinly sliced
- 2 cups rice cooked
- 1 juice of a lemon optional
- 2 tablespoons cilantro chopped
- Heat oil in a small wok or saute pan. Add cinnamon, cloves, black peppercorns. Let spices warm in the oil. After 1 - 2 minutes add cumin seeds and mustard seeds. Allow the seeds to brown and sizzle.
- Add garlic, ginger, scallions and stir together with all of the spices. Cook for about 1 minute.
- Add in the rice, try to separate the grains if the rice has clumped together. Stir quickly because the rice will soak up all of the oil and stick to the pan.
- Finish with cilantro and lemon juice (if using) and serve!