These raspberry almond Linzer cookies are such a holiday classic! They are a staple during the holidays and for good reason! The cookies themselves are just slightly sweet and nutty. The filling is perfectly sweet and tart. And the little cutout in the top cookie give them the most festive appearance. Sprinkle the tops with powdered sugar for an extra sweetness and festivity!
What are Linzer cookies?
Linzer Cookies are named after a Linzer Torte, which originated in Linz, Austria. The torte is a pastry filled with black currant preserves and topped with a lattice crust. So the cookies have the same ingredients as the torte and a similar flavor but in a smaller version.
Raspberry Almond Linzer Cookies
Linzer cookies are traditionally filled with black currant preserves but raspberry, apricot and really just about any flavor is just as popular now. I really like the combination of the sweet and tart raspberries with the nutty sweet almond flavored, buttery cookies!
- Wet ingredients: softened butter, powdered sugar, egg yolks, vanilla extract, almond extract, lemon juice
- Dry ingredients: all purpose flour, almond flour, salt, cinnamon
- Filling: store bought raspberry preserves or jam. I prefer seedless and no added sugar for the filling. You just want to balance the texture and sweetness of the filling. (You can also use any other flavor you prefer or just have on hand)
Quick & Easy Cookie Dough Prep
- The prep for this cookie dough is so quick. You can get your dough ready in less than 20 minutes but it is a soft dough. And in order to make it workable for rolling and cutting out, you have to chill it for at least an hour!
- After chilling, just roll out the dough. It may be a bit difficult to roll at first but once that butter warms up a touch, you'll be rolling quickly!
- If you're using different shapes for the outsides, make sure to cut out a pairs for each shape. You need one for the top and the one for the bottom.
- Then cut out a small shape in the center of the top cookie for the jammy window.
- Fill with the raspberry jam after the cookies are baked and cooled. Enjoy!
Raspberry Almond Linzer Cookies
Linzer Cookie Base
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup almond flour
- 2½ cups all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup raspberry jam seedless, no sugar added
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
Make the Cookies
- In a stand mixer with a paddle attachment or large mixing bowl, cream together softened butter and powdered sugar for about 1-2 minutes. Mix in egg yolks. Add salt, cinnamon, vanilla extract, and lemon juice and mix until combined. Stir in flour and almond flour on low speed to combine. Divide the dough into two and form into discs. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and chill in refrigerator for at least 1 hour or up to 2 days.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface roll out dough discs into about ¼ inch thickness. Cut out cookies with a 3-inch cookie cutter of your choice and place on the prepared baking sheets. Bake for 12 minutes until the cookies get slightly golden. Transfer to a cooling rack within 5 minutes of removing from oven.
Fill the cookies
- Fill cookies with raspberry jam by spreading jam on the bottom of one cookie and place another on top. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Cookie base recipe