How can you have holiday cookies without some sort of snowball cookies in the mix? These pistachio snowball cookies are so buttery and nutty perfect for any time of day! Believe me they are just amazing dipped in tea or coffee, so guilt over here for having these for breakfast!
My parents would always get gifted homemade Christmas cookies when I was younger. It was from those sweet plates filled with treats that I was first introduced to snowball cookies. We all loved those snowball cookies so much that we made my mom ask for the recipe so we wouldn't have to wait all year for the cookies. Plus these cookies are hard to share!
These pistachio snowball cookies are a slight variation on the Rose Tea Cake Cookies I had made for Diwali last year! The best thing about those cookies is that buttery, nutty flavor and that doesn't change in this recipe either. In fact, its enhanced because I actually doubled the amount of pistachios! (They are pistachio cookies after all!)
Pistachio Snowball Cookies
To really bring out the nutty, buttery pistachio flavor, I like to add a ton of chopped pistachios to the dough.
And even though these are pistachio cookies I like to add in a bit of almonds into the mix. I love the flavor of almond extract, it adds the perfect floral, sweet flavor to the cookies. (You can substitute for vanilla extract as well). I also like to add some chopped almonds to the batter because I like they provide a sweetness that you do not normally get from just pistachios.
The other thing I really love about these cookies is how simple this cookie base is! It requires so few ingredients and yet is a favorite for everyone!
Easy & Simple Ingredients
All you need is 6 simple ingredients!
- Powdered Sugar
- Almond Extract
- Chopped Nuts : I use pistachios and almonds
The dough comes together so easily too! Just cream together the butter and sugar first. Then add in the almond extract and salt. Slowly add in the flour and then the chopped nuts. The cookie dough is crumbly but easily scoop-able. I like to use a cookie scoop to evenly portion out the dough. This way, each cookie is the same size and bakes perfectly!
So simple and so delicious!
For more holiday inspired treats, check out: Orange Cardamom Sugar Cookies, Snickerdoodle Dulce de Leche Cupcakes
Pistachio Snowball Cookies
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1-2 drops green food coloring
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup almonds chopped
- ½ cup pistachios chopped
- ¼ cup powdered sugar optional for dusting
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Cream powdered sugar, butter, almond extract together in a large bowl. Add food color if desired and combine.
- Stir in flour and salt until combined. Add in chopped nuts and mix until distributed.
- Scoop dough out in 2 tablespoon balls onto parchment lined baking sheet, place 2 inches apart.
- Bake 10-12 minutes, until edges are lightly golden brown. Remove from baking sheet, cool on cooling rack for 10-15 minutes.
- If using, sprinkle with powdered sugar while the cookies are still slightly warm.