This chimichurri salmon with cauliflower rice is the perfect weeknight meal. Simple, quick sheet pan salmon, intensely flavored mint chimichurri with a healthy veggie side. Easy to make and even easier to eat!
This star of this dish is definitely the mint chimichurri.
Chimichurri is a condiment originating from South American. It is typically made with oil, vinegar, garlic, parsley and chili peppers. It is also made by hand, everything is finely diced and chopped.
My version is a slight twist, I decided to add mint to it. Now mint can be very strong, so use it sparingly. I think the mint adds a great fresh flavor. Its very bright and cooling. Mint actually works well with the earthiness of the parsley, pungent garlic and tangy vinegar. The other difference is that instead of hand chopping the chimichurri, I just throw everything into the blender and pulse it a few times. (Sheet pan dinners mean I'm usually rushing around, so I'm just trying to find the shortcuts here)
The best about the mint chimichurri in this dish is that once you've made the chimchurri to you're liking, you done with all of the seasoning needed. Because the chimichurri is used on both the salmon and the cauliflower rice.
Sheet Pan Salmon
Although the salmon is the main component of this meal. The prep is so easy, it actually becomes an after thought. All I do is take the entire salmon fillet and just place on the sheet pan. Add some that mint chimichurri on top, bake it and serve it! Make sure to add more mint chimichurri though!
This the easiest prep for cauliflower rice you'll ever find. Did you know that you can buy cauliflower rice from the frozen food aisle?? Yes this was a nice discovery for me. I've tried making cauliflower rice at home and while its not that hard. It does take a little time and worst part of it is that I make just a mess. Cauliflower pieces everywhere! lol
Frozen cauliflower rice can usually be microwave in the bag. Just so much easier! I like to microwave the cauliflower then mix it into sautéed shallots and add in some chimichurri and red pepper flakes. So easy, so good! The perfect pairing with mint chimichurri salmon!
You might also be interested in Spicy Lemon Herb Tuna Wraps, Sun-Dried Tomato Crab Spaghetti with Chili Garlic Oil, Saucy Shrimp with Feta and Olives, Shrimp Tikka Masala with Gobi Grits
Mint Chimichurri Salmon with Cauliflower Rice
- 1½-2 pounds salmon fillet
- 10 ounce frozen cauliflower rice heated in the microwave, set aside
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 shallot diced
- ¼ teaspoon red crushed pepper flakes
- salt & pepper
- 4 garlic cloves roughly chopped
- 1 shallot roughly chopped
- ¼ cup fresh mint
- ¼ cup fresh oregano
- ½ cup fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Add all of the ingredients for the chimichurri into a blender or food processor. Blend to until you reach your desired consistency. (I prefer to leave some a little chunky)
Salmon & Cauliflower Rice
- Preheat oven to 425°F Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper.
- Place the salmon skin side down on the baking sheet, season with salt and pepper, coat the top with about 2 tablespoons of the mint chimichurri. Bake for 12-15 minutes.
- While the salmon is baking, heat olive oil in a pan on medium heat. Add diced shallots cook for about 1 minute then add the cauliflower rice. Stir to combine, cook for about 3 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in the crushed red pepper flakes and 1 tablespoon of the chimichurri. Set aside to serve with salmon.
- Remove salmon from oven, serve warm with the remaining chimichurri drizzled over.