An Indian twist on an Italian classic, this masala chai affogato is a the perfect twist to serving chai as the weather gets warmer. Affogato is a simple Italian dessert/dish that literally translates to "drowned". It is the simplest dessert. Just a scoop of vanilla ice cream that is "drowned" with a shot of hot espresso poured over!
For this masala chai affogato, I scooped vanilla ice cream and drowned it with a shot of masala chai (no milk and sugar). Now you can use any flavor of ice cream you want. But believe me there's something about the combination of vanilla is the perfect substitute for the milk and sugar that is missing!
What do I need to make an Chai Affogato?
- Ice cream - simple flavors recommended: vanilla or chocolate
- Masala chai - preferably freshly brewed, minus the milk or dairy and minus the sweetener
- Optional toppings - crushed tea biscuits like Parle-G , crushed pistachios or almonds, chocolate chips
You really don't need to top this dessert with anything. Much of the appeal of this dish is its simplicity. So the less additions you put into it the better!
How to serve a masala chai affogato?
The trick is to have everything ready and the only thing you're waiting for is the hot chai to be poured over the ice cream.
- So first get your glasses or bowls out, scoop out the desired ice cream flavors. Optional step: If you are added garnishes to the top, now is the time to get them ready. So crumble your cookies or set out the nuts and chocolate chips.
- The chill the glasses in the freezer while you work.
- Last step is to brew the masala chai. If you're serving this at a get together or after dinner. You can prepare steps 1 and 2 before the party begins and brew the chai once you're ready to serve. Once the chai is finished, set it aside to cool a bit and take out your chilled glasses and pour the masala chai over the ice cream either right before you serve or you can even have your guests pour or "drown" their own ice cream with the chai! Make it interactive!
You might also be interested in other chai recipes: Masala Chai, White Chocolate Dipped Tea Biscuits, Ghughra Sweet Rolls, Rose Tea Cake Cookies
Masala Chai Affogato
- Ice cream any flavor
- ½ cup water
- 2 tablespoons loose black tea
- 1 teaspoon ginger freshly grated
- 1 teaspoon masala chai spice blend store bought or see below
- 1 teaspoon ground clove
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground peppercorn
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- crushed tea biscuits or nuts or chocolate chips optional
- Scoop ice cream into glasses or bowls. Decorate with crushed tea biscuits or nuts or chocolate chips if using. Chill the glasses in the freezer until ready to serve.
- In a small saucepan on medium high heat, add water and black tea. Add ginger and chai masala. Bring the tea to a boil. Lower the heat and allow the tea to gently simmer for about 3-4 minutes. Strain the tea. Pour over ice cream scoops and serve!
- Combine all of the spices and store in an air tight container. Use as needed for chai.
I love Affogato and chai but never thought of a combination of the two. What a great idea. I'm certainly going to make this soon!
Thanks Andrea! I wasn't sure if the combo would work, but it turned out to be just delicious!!
Ice cream sounds so good in this recipe! I am always looking for new ways to make chai. I will keep this in mind!
Its such a good, almost unexpected combo! Its like a replacement for hot fudge! lol!
This is like the perfect dessert. Love all the combinations.
Thanks Sondra! I agree!!
Wow what a delicious idea! I have never seen anything like this. It looks so decadent!
Thanks Faith! I wasn't sure how if something as simple as this would work, but its really delicious!
This is the ultimate dessert! So delicious and really easy! Thanks for sharing!
Thanks Elizabeth Its so good!