This lazy skillet lasagna with tortellini recipe will have you and your family feeling like you're eating a homemade lasagna but in under 30 minutes and without all that usual prep! You definitely cannot go wrong with this dinner!
For more one skillet recipes, check out: Chicken and Pinto Bean Enchilada Skillet, Fajita Rice and Beans (One Pan), Honey Chipotle Chicken Pasta
What ingredients are needed to make a lazy lasagna?
- Cheese Tortellini - I use a large frozen pack of cheese tortellinis for this recipe. It will take the place of both the lasagna noodles and the ricotta layer of the lasagna
- Pasta sauce - grab your favorite pasta sauce, you can also use canned tomatoes and add some Italian seasoning to make your own. Right now Rao's is our go-to.
- Filling - This part is totally up to you, I like to add Italian chicken sausage and some veggies like onions and peppers. You can really add any meats and vegetables you prefer.
- Cheese - so even though the tortellinis are already filled with cheese, you will need extra mozzarella and parmesan cheeses to create that ooey gooey lasagna feel. Shredded mozzarella and grated parm are a must!
You might also be interested in Basil Garlic Chicken Lasagna, Spaghetti and Basil Garlic Chicken Meatballs
How to make a skillet lasagna with tortellini?
- Prepare the frozen tortellini according to package directions, should be about 4-5 minutes. Take care not to over cook them at this point because they will continue to cook in the skillet.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Brown the sausage or meat, if you are using. Remove the meat from the skillet.
- And then saute the veggies. Try to get a little color on them by leaving alone for a minute and do not add salt to them. (Adding salt to veggies will release water and the moisture will steam them instead of browning them). Remove the veggies from the pan too.
- Add in the pasta sauce to the veggies and return the meat to the skillet. Combine everything and heat for a minute or two. Gently add in the cooked tortellini and mix to combine.
- Sprinkle the shredded mozzarella and grated parmesan cheeses over the skillet. Bake at 400 F for about 15-20 or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
Best served with: Easy Rosemary Garlic Focaccia, Calabrian Caprese Salad
Lazy Lasagna Skillet with Tortellini
- 1 pound ground Italian sausage I used ground chicken sausage
- 12 ounces cheese filled tortellini
- 28 ounces marinara sauce
- 2 garlic cloves diced
- 1 onions diced
- 1 bell pepper diced
- 8 ounces mozzerella shredded
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the tortellini for 3 or 4 minutes (according to the package directions) and immediately drain it, set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Heat a large oven-safe (cast iron) skillet over medium heat, add olive oil and brown the Italian sausage. Break the meat apart until it is in small crumbles and browned. Remove the sausage crumbles from the pan
- Add chopped garlic and veggies and saute for 3-4 minutes until softened. Return the cooked sausage to the skillet and stir in the marinara sauce. Then add in the cooked tortellini to the sauce. Gently stir without breaking the tortellini.
- Sprinkle the shredded mozzarella over the entire skillet.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden and bubbly and cheese.
Love this twist on the classic. Easy to make and a nice change in the pasta too. This will be a hit with the family.
Thank you! Its so easy to make and super kid friendly!
Helen at the Lazy Gastronome
Lazy is right up my alley!! This dish is a huge family hit!
Lol same for me!! my family loves it as well!
This s such a great idea! Love how quickly this came together and the family loved it.
Definitely agree! Its super quick and a hit for the whole family!
This skillet lasagna was exactly what I needed on this chilly night. It was so easy to prepare and full of all the things my family loves. It's safe to say there were no complaints at dinner time!
Yes exactly! we love it so much too! So glad to hear that you liked it too!
This was perfect for me and my family! Dinner was on the table quickly and everyone loved it! I will definitely be making this again
I so enjoyed this.
Used ravioli squares, also used way less sauce.. what I had at home
and still was 👌 and delicious.
Thank you for the recipe!
Thanks! So glad to hear it!! The recipe is super versatile!