This kale sausage white bean soup requires very little effort, but contains maximum flavor! It’s so flavorful, you won’t even realize just how good it is for you!
It’s so hearty, you won’t even need anything to go with it (but if you’re like me, you might still want to have some Easy Rosemary Garlic Focaccia on side!) And it’s so easy, it will be added to your dinner line up right away!
This is a go-to dinner staple for me and my family. The kids love it! sometimes I can't tell if they like it just because they get to eat crackers for dinner or because they really love the soup. But then again sometimes I can't tell if I love the soup because of those mini saltines either lol.
No but the soup is really flavorful and really easy too. The key to the kale sausage white bean soup is definitely in the chicken sausage. I like to get the Italian chicken sausage that comes pre-seasoned, hence the very minimal effort! You get the protein and the flavor all in one ingredient.
You can easily modify this soup to use up whatever you have on hand. If you have other greens like spinach instead, use that! Can't find anything besides canned chickpeas in your pantry, it will still be delicious!
Need a vegetarian option, swap out the chicken sausage for cooked rice or quinoa and 2 tablespoons of Italian seasoning. The rice or quinoa will give you a nice chewy texture. You can of course just make the soup without the additional texture but it will not be as hearty. Oh and an easy swap of the chicken stock to a veggie stock.
Just do not forget that squeeze of lemon at the end! It really helps to bring the soup together!
Chicken Sausage, Kale Soup
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 package chicken sausage Italian seasoned
- 1 onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 stalks of celery diced
- 1 carrot diced
- 1 can of white cannelloni beans drained and rinsed
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 bunch of Kale de-stemmed and roughly chopped
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Remove the sausage from the casings. Heat olive oil on medium high heat in a large pot and add the sausage to the oil. Break up the sausage as it cooks, you want to get nice bite sized crumbles of sausage.
- Once the sausage is browned, add the onions, cook about 3 minutes to soften.
- Add minced garlic and cook for an additional 1 minute.
- Add the celery and carrots to the pot. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the beans, chicken stock, water, bay leaf and kale.
- Allow the soup to come to a boil. Then lower the temperature to medium heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and add the lemon juice.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool before serving.