Here's a simple and easy Indian vegetarian sheet pan recipe for you! Indian spiced brussel sprouts are seasoned with turmeric and ginger, then roasted until crispy! After they come out of the oven, a spicy cumin and mustard tadka (seasoned oil) provides another flavor boost! So simple but these brussel sprouts are truly bursting with so much flavor!
This curry dish (Indian sabzi) is actually a variation of cabbage sabzi. Which is usually prepared with thinly sliced cabbage and stir fried with a little bit of seasoning. We also love making brussel sprouts, which is resemble mini cabbages. To make my life easier, I just threw the brussel sprouts on a sheet pan and roasted them in the oven for a few minutes. Turns out, they taste the same! And it saves me the hassle of standing at the stove to cook!
Actually I think roasting brussel sprouts gives you the best texture! Some super crispy pieces along with some sweet bites! Plus the tadka adds a delicious spicy kick!
Ingredients for Indian Spiced Brussel Sprouts
- Brussel Sprouts
- Ginger Powder
- Cumin Seeds
- Mustard Seeds
- Dried Red Chili Pepper
- Asafoetida (or Hing)
How do you roast brussel sprouts in the oven?
- Preheat. Prep your sheet pan with parchment paper and preheat your oven to 400°F.
- Prep. Brussel sprouts are fairly easy to prep. Just cut off the stems and thinly slice or shred. Transfer the brussel sprouts to a large bowl.
- Season. Drizzle brussel sprouts with a little olive oil and then season with ginger powder, turmeric, and salt. Toss to coat using tongs or a spatula and transfer to a baking sheet.
- Bake. Make sure the brussel sprouts are spread out evenly on the baking sheet. Bake for about 15-20 minutes. Some pieces will be super crispy, which I think adds great flavor and texture. If you prefer less crispy, I would remove the pan from the oven closer to the 15 minute mark.
- Tadka = More seasoning. Since these are Indian spiced brussel sprouts, I added a quick tadka (or hot seasoned oil) after they were roasted. The tadka is flavored with cumin seeds, mustard seeds, asafoetida, and a dried red chili pepper. Simply heat the oil, add the whole spices until you can hear the seeds crackling, then pour the flavored oil over the roasted brussel sprouts and serve!
What to serve with Indian Spiced Brussel Sprouts?
Though I usually serve these crispy roasted Indian brussel sprouts with a simple wheat flour roti; naan, basmati rice or even Scallion Garlic Indian Fried Rice also pair wonderfully.
Additionally, I like to pair this dish with other complimentary vegetarian dishes. Check out: Instant Pot Green Moong Dal, Roasted Spiced Cauliflower, Instant Pot Dudhi Chana
Indian Spiced Brussel Sprouts
For Spiced Brussel Sprouts
- 1 pound brussel sprouts
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teapoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 dried red chili pepper
- ¼ teaspoon asafoetida also known as hing
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Cut off the stems from the brussel sprouts and thinly slice. You can also shred them.
- Transfer the brussel sprouts to a large bowl, drizzle olive oil, ginger, turmeric and salt. Stir to coat the brussel sprouts. Transfer the seasoned brussel sprouts to the parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Add additional oil to a small saucepan, turn heat to medium high heat. Add mustard seeds and whole chilies to hot oil. Once mustard seeds start popping, add dried chili pepper and hing. Turn the heat off and drizzle over roasted brussel sprounts
- Transfer the brussels sprout to a serving bowl and serve immediately.
Leave a Reply