Not sure about you, but these harissa chicken meatball bowls are definitely a new rotation in our dinner menu! Harissa and garlic seasoned chicken meatballs paired with garlicky feta tzatziki, salad greens, hummus, chopped veggies and pita chips make the ultimate salad bowl!
Harissa Chicken Meatballs
Doesn't that sound so good?? It's nice and spicy (but not too spicy, depending on the harissa paste you use!) and super flavorful without a ton of ingredients!
What's in these meatballs?
- Ground Chicken - Feel free to replace with your preferred ground meat or meat alternative of your choice
- Harissa Paste
- Onions - diced
- Spices - Ground cumin & ground coriander, salt as needed
- Fresh herbs - Cilantro, parsley
- Apple cider vinegar
As the meatballs are cooking, I like to whip with the garlicky feta tzatziki. Its just a quick mix of grated (and drained) cucumber, garlic, feta cheese, Greek yogurt, lemon juice and vinegar. Taste for salt and pepper and try not to finish it off before the meatballs are ready!!
After that, it is really just a matter of getting all the other bowl toppings ready! Grab your salad greens, chopped veggies, hummus, pita chips. And anything you feel like adding!
I could really go on and on with the toppings here! But I gotta stop myself! Although its really up to you how you want to customize these bowls! Have fun with it!
More Ways to Customize these Bowls!
Make them vegetarian! Replace the ground chicken meatballs with your favorite veggie options instead. Canned chickpeas, cubed tofu, cauliflower florets all make great alternatives here!
Change up the base! Try this bowls with rice, quinoa or roasted veggies instead salad greens!
Mix and match your favorite dips and spreads! Get creative with the tzatziki and hummus options. There are so many flavors to choose from, make your own or store bought!
Add your favorite crunch! I love having pita chips with these harissa chicken meatball bowls, but they're also great with soft, warm pita bread, buttered naan, tortilla chips or roasted chickpeas make the ultimate crunch!
For more harissa flavored recipes, check out: Honey Harissa Chicken and Chickpea Flatbread, Eggplant and Halloumi Burgers
Harissa Chicken Meatballs Bowls
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 4 tablespoons harissa paste divided
- ¼ cup cilantro chopped
- ¼ cup parsley chopped
- ½ cup yellow onion diced
- 5 garlic cloves minced or grated
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
Garlicky Feta Tzatiki
- ¼ cup crumbled feta
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 cucumber peeled and grated, squeeze out as water as you can
- 2 garlic cloves grated
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- salt & pepper to taste
Other Ingredients for Bowl
- salad greens
- pita chips
- tomato chopped
- red onion diced
- cucumber peeled and diced
Harissa Chicken Meatballs
- In a mixing bowl, add all of the ingredients for the harissa chicken meatballs except the chicken and oil. Mix to combine. Add ground chicken and mix well.1 pound ground chicken, hummus, ¼ cup cilantro, ½ cup yellow onion, 1 teaspoon ground cumin, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 cup Greek yogurt, 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- Form the mixture into meatballs. Tip: If you are concerned about the seasoning or salt level, make a mini tester meatball and fry it up before forming the rest of the meatballs.
- In the large saute pan, add the olive oil and heat to medium heat. Add all of the meatballs to the pan and cook until the meatballs have browned on all sides about 5-7 minutes per side.tomato
- Add additional 2 tablespoons of harissa paste and tomato paste to the pan as the meatballs are cooking. The paste will form a glaze and coat the meatballs. Cook for an additional 4 minutes, remove from heat and serve warm.hummus
Garlicky Feta Tzatziki
- In a small bowl, combine all of the ingredients for the tzatziki and mix until well combined. Make sure the water is squeezed from the grated cucumber before adding to the bowl.cucumber
- Chill before serving.
- Serve the harissa chicken meatballs over salad greens and topped with garlicky feta tzatziki, hummus, chopped veggies, and pita chips