We love creating different flavors of chicken meatballs here! Not only is it fun and delicious but its a great way to sneak different vegetables into meals (shhh! don't tell the kids!). These green and smoky chicken meatballs are just another fun variation that has become a super delicious dinner option the kids. Its not spicy but its also not lacking flavor!
A ton of fresh green herbs!
What makes these meatballs smoky?
I add toasted ground cumin. Toasting the cumin seeds brings out an earthy and slightly smoky flavor. It also deepens the color of the cumin seeds to a darker, richer brown. The other ingredient that adds to the smoky flavor for the meatballs is smoked paprika. I love smoked paprika because it adds such a wonderful smoky and sweet flavor!
Best of all they are Kid Approved!
The kids love to gobble up these green and smoky meatballs. Sometimes I like to add in spinach to the meatballs for an additional boost of nutrition too! You can also try to mix in chopped kale or shredded carrots!
These green and smoky chicken meatballs are the perfect in a spicy spaghetti or served with a spicy green chutney.
But another great option is to add them to your falafel platter, serve them with herb and turmeric falafel and dip them in the creamy toasted sesame seed white sauce and charred red pepper sauce! Combine all of this deliciousness into the most amazing pita sandwich!!
Green and Smoky Chicken Meatballs
- 1 pound ground chicken
- ½ cup cilantro chopped
- ¼ cup parsley chopped
- 3 scallions chopped
- 4 garlic cloves minced or grated
- 1 tablespoon ginger grated
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoon olive oil divided
- In a large saute pan, add 2 teaspoons of olive oil, heat to medium heat. Add scallions, garlic, and ginger. Cook for about 3-4 minutes or until the scallions and garlic have softened.
- Put the scallion mixture into a large mixing bowl. Add ground chicken, chopped cilantro, chopped parsley, cumin, smoked paprika, salt and pepper. Also add the breadcrumbs and vinegar and mix everything until well combined.
- Form the mixture into meatballs. Tip: If you are concerned about the seasoning or salt level, make a mini tester meatball and fry it up before forming the rest of the meatballs.
- In the large saute pan, add the rest of the olive oil and heat to medium heat. Add all of the meatballs to the pan and cook until the meatballs have browned on all sides about 10-15 minutes.
- Serve warm!
Love all the fresh herbs and ginger! So good!!
Thanks Ana! Yes the fresh herbs are so flavorful!
I love all of the spices used in this recipe! I'm a big fan of using ground chicken and I like trying out new recipes. Thanks for sharing. 🙂
Thanks Alyssa! Yes love using ground chicken, such a healthy alternative!
Mihaela | https://theworldisanoyster.com/
I should try it on my little fussy eater; hopefully, I'll get the approval!:))
Hi Mihaela, I know what you mean! My little ones can be super picky as well!
Cindy Mom, the Lunch Lady
Chicken meatballs are so good! Loving the flavours in these ones. Thanks for sharing 🙂
Hi Cindy, yes we love chicken meatballs too! the fresh herbs really make this dish!!