This vegetarian fajita rice and beans is the perfect Tex-Mex style one pan rice bowl dinner! I love it because its perfect as a meal on its own but can also be dressed up with chicken, veggies and more cheeses! Or served as a side during taco night! Its super versatile!
I love how flavorful this dish is but its really so simple. Bursting with fajita flavors from the onions and peppers, sweetness from the corn and the heartiness from the black beans! And course topped with some cheese and cilantro for extra flavor!
Ingredients for Fajita Rice & Beans
- Butter - I love to saute the onions, peppers and garlic in butter to get the base of this rice super flavorful. Olive oil or other cooking oil will also be a great substitute.
- Onions - I use red onions or white onions in this dish. I think either work just fine.
- Bell Peppers - Any color or variety of bell peppers will work. The mini sweet peppers are nice because you can use a mix of colors (red, orange, red, yellow).
- Jalapeno Peppers - 1 jalapeno is enough heat for me! But it also provides a nice smoky flavor.
- Garlic - 2 or 3 cloves finely mince for optimal flavor!
- Seasoning - Ground cumin, Chili Powder, Oregano
- Corn - I just love the sweetness they add to this. I like to use frozen corn kernels, they are great for easy to prepare dishes.
- Rice - I love to use leftover rice, white, brown, basmati, really all types of rice work. Just your preference, whatever you have on hand.
- Beans - canned black beans that are drained and rinsed. Pinto or kidney beans are also great in this dish.
- Cheese - shredded cheddar and Monterey jack are great with these rice and beans.
- Garnish with fresh lime and chopped cilantro
How do you make fajita rice and beans?
- Saute onions and peppers in butter until tender
- Add garlic and dry seasoning, mix to distribute
- Add in corn, drained and rinse beans and cooked rice
- Top with shredded cheese, cover to melt
- Garnish with cilantro and serve with juice of lime
Fajita rice and beans are perfect served with Roasted Salsa Verde Guacamole, Creamy Taco Soup, Easy Restaurant Style Salsa, Peruvian Style Grilled Chicken
Other One Pot Rice Meals
Fajita Rice and Beans
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup onion thinly sliced
- ½ cup bell peppers thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeño pepper thinly sliced and deseeded
- 2-3 cloves garlic finely minced
- 1 teaspoons ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ½ cup corn kernels frozen
- 1 15 oz black beans canned, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups cooked rice white or brown
- ¼-½ cup shredded cheese cheddar or monterey jack cheese
- 1 lime juice
- 1 tablespoon cilantro optional, chopped
- In skillet on medium heat, melt butter. As butter melts add onions, bell peppers and jalapeno peppers. Cook for 2-3 minutes until tender.
- Add minced garlic, cumin, chili powder, oregano. Stir to distribute and cook for another minute.
- Add in corn, black beans and rice. Stir to combine. Cook for 4-5 minutes. Top with shredded cheese, cover and let melt for 2 minutes.
- Serve with lime and additional toppings if desired.
Leave a Reply