Ok this curry thyme chicken pot pie is the ultimate comfort food! Like just think about your favorite chicken pot pie recipe but now add in a nice dose of curry flavor to the filling and oh yeah, the crust is super flakey, buttery, puff pastry. But not just on top, there's a top and bottom puff pastry crust because you need that double layer of crust to really make an ultimate chicken pot pie!
Oh and did I mention the puff pastry is studded with cumin?? Soo we're talking about a chicken pot pie with
- a delicious, creamy curry flavored filling
- Flakey puff pastry crust on the bottom
- Jeera (cumin) biscuit topper
What is the filling of Curry Thyme Chicken Pot Pie?
- Chicken Thighs
- Curry Powder
- Fresh Thyme Sprigs - dried thyme can also be used, but the flavoring of thyme in chicken pot is so comforting and it pairs beautifully with the curry powder too
- Veggies: Potatoes, Carrots, Frozen Peas, Onions, Garlic, Ginger, Green Chilies
- Other Necessary Ingredients for Pot Pie Filling: Butter, Chicken Stock, Flour
How can you not be in the mood for this curry thyme chicken pot pie! Its literally the only thing you need to make for dinner! Veggies, protein, carbs, tons & tons of flavor in every single bite! It's great for the entire family! My kids devoured this one!
Suggestions for Alternative Fillings
If you're looking for the same comfort but in a veggie pot pie, make these simple switches: Replace the chicken with chickpeas, replace the chicken stock with veggie stock, and that's it!
The other great think about this pot pie recipe is that you can rally use whatever veggies you prefer! Other great options for the filling would be: sweet potatoes, parsnips, leeks, butternut squash, green beans.
Curry Thyme Chicken Pot Pie
- puff pastry 2 sheets
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger grated
- 1-2 green chilies finely minced
- ½ cup carrots chopped
- 2 potatoes peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 4 chicken thighs cut into small 1 inch cubes
- 2-3 teaspoons curry powder adjust to your liking
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2½ cups chicken stock
- ½ cup frozen green peas
- salt & pepper to taste
- ¼ teaspoon cumin seeds
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Roll out one of the puff pastry sheets to fit into a 2 quart baking pan. Press into pan, prick puff pastry with fork all over. Cover puff pastry with aluminum foil. Bake for 25 minutes. Remove foil, set aside.
- In a large saute pan, melt butter on medium high heat. Add onions cook for 1 minute. Add chopped garlic, cook for 30 seconds. Stir in ginger, carrots, green chilies cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in potatoes, chicken, curry powder, thyme and cook for 10 minutes. Add in flour, mix and cook for 3 minutes. Add the chicken stock. Stir mixture and cook until it boils about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Prepare the top crust: roll out the second puff pastry to fit inside the baking pan. Sprinkle cumin seeds over pastry puff, press seeds into the dough by gently rolling over. Using a knife or pizza cutter, cut puff pastry into strips.
- Spoon curry chicken mixture into the bottom puff pastry crust. Arrange puff pastry strips over the curry chicken mixture. Bake for 45 minutes at 400°F. Remove from oven and let cool for 20 minutes before serving.
Adapted from recipe