Sometimes I fail at cooking the most basic ingredients! Potatoes and eggs are at the top of my list! I don't know if its because I'm so picky with perfecting them or I'm just a mess with them. But it's taking a lot of trial and lost of errors to get them right. That's why I'm so excited about sharing these crispy baked curry potato dish with you!
No matter what method I use to prep potatoes, they never have the texture I want. When I bake them, they're soft or burnt. When I boil them, they get crumbly or gluey. When I dice them up and try to saute them, they take forever to cook. Its like I'm at war with the starch!
But that's actually it. The potato starch! I think the key to cooking potatoes (for me at least) is to remove as much of the starch as possible before cooking. So peel and cut the potatoes and then soak them in cold water for at least 30 minutes, up to overnight.
For baking crispy potatoes, the key is to dry the potatoes after the soak and then coating them with oil, and a seasoned cornstarch mixture. Corn starch helps to crisp up the potato cubes. Since these are cut into small cubes, they will cook up pretty quickly. And the corn starch will help to get the exterior of the cubes super crispy while the inside stays perfectly cooked.
Baking Tip: Spread out the potato cubes on the baking sheet to ensure each cube is getting heat from all sides!
Simple Curry Seasoning Mix
- Curry Powder
- Red Chili Powder
- Garlic Powder
Potatoes are delicious with just a sprinkle of salt. But it also tastes amazing with any variety of seasoning. I played around with some curry seasoning and thought this was super versatile as an Indian side dish. We have enjoyed them as a side dish, mixed into rice and as a filling for veggie kati rolls (burritos).
Finishing Touch - Drizzle of Seasoned Oil
This last part is what really takes the crispy baked curry potato dish to the next level. Its super quick and easy and so worth it!
Just heat up a little oil and season the oil with cumin seeds, mustard seeds, asafoetida, and curry leaves. The additional flavors in the oil really bring out the seasoning mix.
This is the perfect side to Indian fried rice, Chaat-cuterie Board, Crispy Oven Baked Curry Masala Wings.
Crispy Baked Curry Potato
- 4 potatoes
- 3 tablespoons oil divided
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon red chili powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- 10-12 curry leaves
- pinch asafoetida
- Dice the potatoes into ¾ cubes. Add the diced potatoes into cold water. Let soak for 30 minutes to remove the starch.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the corn starch, curry power, red chili powder, turmeric, and garlic powder.
- Pre-heat oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Drain the potatoes, blot dry with paper towels.
- Add the potatoes to the parchment lined, drizzle with 2 tablespoons of oil. Toss to coat the potatoes in the oil. Then sprinkle the seasoning mix over the potatoes and toss to coat with the seasoning.
- Spread the seasoned potatoes out on the baking sheet. Make sure the potatoes are not touching.
- Bake for 30 minutes, flipping the potatoes at the 15 minute mark.
- Remove from oven, sprinkle with salt, let cool for at least 5 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, heat the remaining tablespoon of oil to medium high heat.
- Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds. Heat until the seeds crackle. Add in asafoetida.
- Next add curry leaves. Once the leaves have crisped up. Remove the seasoned oil from heat and carefully drizzle over the cooling potatoes. Serve warm!
Recipe adapted from Gimme Some Oven Roasted Potatoes Recipe
I love curry and this sounds like a wonderful recipe, I'll save the recipe and make it this weekend.
Hi Isabella! Thanks! Let me know how it comes out!!
Delicious! I sprinkled coriander (cilantro) on the top. My family loved them!
Hi Christina, that's perfect! so glad you liked it!
This is so flavorful! I love a twist on potatoes!
Hi Rosario! Yes its super flavorful and the texture is just perfect!
Just looking at the pics is making my mouth water! Will have to try this! Thanks for sharing!
Thanks Katherine! I hope you like them!
I love curry powder. Why have I never thought to put it on potatoes before. Genius! Thanks for sharing.
Thanks Emily! Yes its a great flavor to add to potatoes! Such a combo!
So crispy - I love these.
Hi Amanda, thanks! so glad you liked them!!
These curry potatoes looks so delicious. A great recipe for the holiday season!
Hi Magali! Thanks!! Yes its definitely a great recipe for the holidays! Once the potatoes are prepped you can just stick them in the oven while you cook or relax!