This creamy tomato bisque my version of Panera's tomato soup. Actually I may love my version more than Panera's though! Its just so comforting and cozy! All you need are some canned tomatoes, garlic, shallots, fresh basil and a nice veggie stock. It makes the perfect dip to a nice grilled cheese too!
What ingredients do you need for creamy tomato bisque?
- Canned San Marzano tomatoes - typically I would said that any canned tomato will do. But in this case, you really need the San Marzano tomatoes. Or at least San Marzano style tomatoes! They just provide the right amount of sweetness and acidity from the tomatoes to give you the best tomato bisque.
- Fresh basil - In a pinch, you can use dried basil. But definitely the fresh basil will give you the perfect balanced sweetness and pepperiness.
- Veggie stock - You can also use chicken stock here and the flavors will still be similar
- Aromatics - garlic and shallots (or onions) for additional flavor boost!
- Seasoning - red pepper flakes, oregano, salt, pepper, sugar, use these as needed to balance out the sweet, salty, and heat that you need for your soup!
- Finishing Touches - heavy cream and parmesan cheese will provide the velvety texture you need in a bisque and a touch of tanginess as well
- Start off by melting butter and olive oil in a heavy bottom pot or dutch oven. Add in garlic and shallots.
- Add in the canned tomatoes, seasoning and stock. Let this simmer on the stove for 20 minutes and puree everything until it is smooth.
- Finish it off with some heavy cream and parmesan cheese. Serve warm!
With such quick and easy prep, you will have no trouble getting together a grilled cheese sandwich to help complete this comforting meal!
Creamy Tomato Bisque
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 5 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 shallots chopped
- 1 28 ounces canned San Marzano tomatoes whole, peeled
- 4 cups veggie stock
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes use less for less heat
- 10 fresh basil leaves
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- ⅓ cup parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a heavy bottomed pot, heat butter and olive oil on medium heat. Melt butter and combine with olive oil. Add chopped garlic, saute in butter and olive for a few seconds (about 30 seconds). Then add chopped shallots and saute for another minute.
- Add tomatoes, veggie stock, sugar, salt, oregano, red pepper flakes, basil leaves. Simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Use an immersion blender or regular blender to puree until smooth.
- Stir in the heavy cream and parmesan cheese. Season with salt and pepper as needed. Serve warm.