So this creamy taco soup came out from eating too much chicken tortilla soup. lol! I know that doesn't really make any sense. But what happened was that we made chicken tortilla soup pretty regularly. Its delicious, its easy, and the toppings just elevate the whole thing into a proper meal! Perfect for lunch or dinner! Nothing wrong with it...or so I thought.
We got tired of it. I think there was too much going on with the soup, too many textures. We were craving smooth, creamy soups instead of chunky but still loved the flavor and especially all the toppings. So I played around recipe a bit and realized we just needed to simplify the whole thing!
How to make this Creamy Taco Soup
I saute all the veggies a bit to bring out the flavors and sweetness from them. Then add in canned tomatoes, canned beans (kidney works really well here but you can pick your favorite!) and vegetable stock then blend the whole thing to get it nice and smooth and creamy!
By the whole thing I mean all of the veggies, the stock and even the beans! Yes, blending the beans into the soup gives it a really nice, almost velvety smoothness!
With a smooth, creamy soup base, the toppings become the real highlight here! We totally go crazy with the toppings!
- chopped cilantro
- sliced green onions
- shredded cheese : cheddar, pepper jack, mozzarella
- avocado or guacamole
- crushed tortilla chips
- lime wedges
- If you're missing out on the protein, add chopped chicken to the soup after blending it smooth
- You can turn this into a hearty meal with rice or quinoa added to it too!
Check out more of my favorite soup recipes!
Golden Garlic Chicken Noodle Soup
Butternut Squash and Lentil Dal
Easy Spicy Chicken Tortilla Soup
Creamy Taco Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper diced
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 cup red bell pepper diced
- 1 14 oz can kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 1 15 oz can diced fire roasted tomatoes
- 3-4 cups vegetable stock
- 1-2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground chili powder
- green onions sliced
- cilantro chopped
- shredded cheese
- tortilla chips
- lime wedges
- sour cream
- Add oil to a heavy bottom pot at medium high heat. Add onions, cook for 3 minutes. Add garlic, jalapeno peppers, bell peppers and cook for another 3 minutes. Add beans, tomatoes, 1 cup of stock and spices. Cook for about 10 minutes
- Remove the soup from the heat, let it cool for 10 minutes. Blend with immersion blender or carefully pour into a jar blender and blend until desired consistency is reached. (hint if you prefer it a little chunky, remove some of the mixture out before blending and then add it back in, so have a thick soup with bit of texture).
- Return the blend bean and veggie mixture to the pot. On medium high heat, stir in the remaining stock and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Taste for salt and other seasonings. Serve warm with shredded cheese, cilantro and other desired toppings.
Leave a Reply