Don't you love playing around with s'mores combinations?? I mean it's the simplest thing: graham crackers, chocolate, melty marshmallow. Since all the ingredients are so basic, its so easy to come up with crazy creations! Here are coconut cookie & caramel s'mores or samoa s'mores!
Ooey, gooey marshmallow, caramel filled chocolate bar, and toasted coconut sandwiched inside these chewy, delicious Coconut Almond Butter Cookies! Its a messy bite! But if its not messy, you're probably not eating a good s'more! Its based off the flavors of the one of favorite Girl Scout cookies the samoas: which is a shortbread cookie, layered with caramel, shredded coconut and drizzled with dark chocolate.
First off, these coconut almond butter cookies are a household favorite! We just love the chewy coconut texture, it almost reminds me of a really good chewy oatmeal cookie, except there's no oatmeal! The texture is just from the shredded coconut! Another perk for these cookies is that they're vegan so its kinda of a healthy indulgence! (And also it's not as guilty to taste the cookie dough either!)
I like to make the cookies the day before. Knowing that at least a few (or even half!) of the batch will not make it into the s'mores phase. But when we do manage to save a few for the s'mores, boy are we glad!
They have such a great coconut flavor from the coconut oil and shredded coconut that's inside the cookie and topped inside the s'more! The dark chocolate and caramel provide that creamy sweetness and the warm, ooey, gooey marshmallow puts it over the top!
How to Assemble the Coconut Cookie & Caramel S'Mores
*Tip get all of your ingredients ready and waiting before roasting the marshmallows!!
- 2 coconut almond butter cookies
- 1 chocolate caramel bar - I used these dark chocolate sea salt caramel squares
- 1 roasted marshmallow
- Sprinkle of toasted coconut shreds
Coconut Cookie & Caramel S'mores
Coconut Almond Butter Cookies
- ½ cup sugar
- ¾ cup brown sugar packed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup coconut oil melted
- ¼ cup almond butter
- ¼ cup almond milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ½ cups shredded coconut unsweetened
- 10-12 chocolate caramel bars
- ½ cup shredded coconut unsweetened
- 10-12 marshmallows
Make Coconut Almond Butter Cookies
- In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, brown sugar, salt, melted coconut oil, and almond butter. Whisk for 1 minute, scrap down the bowl and whisk for another minute.
- Whisk in the almond milk and vanilla extract until incorporated.
- Stir in the flour and baking soda. Then fold in the shredded coconut.
- Chill the dough for 30 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 350°F
- Scoop the dough with a 1 ½ tablespoon cookie scoop onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Flatten the tops of the scoops slightly. Leave 2-3 inches of space between the cookies, the cookies will spread as it bakes.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the edges are golden brown.
- Remove to cooling rack to cool.
Assemble the S'mores
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Spread shredded coconut on baking sheet, bake for 3-5 minutes. Use a spatula to stir the shreds, continue baking for another 3-5 minutes until the coconut is golden brown. (The coconut will toast quickly)
- Roast your marshmallows to your desired liking.
- Sandwich a roasted marshmallow, chocolate caramel bar and toasted coconut shreds between two coconut almond butter cookies