These coconut almond butter cookies are so crazy good! They're chewy, sweet, slightly crunchy. They are so deceptive too! There's no eggs and no butter (Yes they're vegan!) . They almost defy the definition of a cookie right?
So what is in this cookie?
- Shredded coconut
- Coconut oil
- Almond Butter
- Almond Milk
- Sugars - Granulated and Brown
- Vanilla Extract
- All Purpose Flour
- Baking soda
There's unsweetened shredded coconut and melted coconut oil. This gives the cookies a super pleasant tropical flavor without feeling like you're chewing on a coconut chunk.
Then there's the addition of the almond butter which just melts into the cookies and almond milk which also gives it the subtlest nutty flavor. Together they add this nuttiness that doesn't overpower the flavor.
These coconut almond butter cookies are part of my Diwali menu this year. They are my twist on coconut ladoos (or coconut balls) that are adorning many Diwali tables.
I replaced the ladoo with cookies just because in my house, cookies do not last! We eat cookies with coffee and tea in the morning (don't judge!). We'll sneak them in the afternoon and have them for dessert with an ice cold glass of milk. Meanwhile ladoos, we eat for special occasions. They're just not a regular treat for us.
So I definitely had to make some changes to turn a ladoo into a cookie! The ghee that is traditionally found in coconut ladoos is replaced by the coconut oil. Many recipes call for sweetened condensed milk or milk powder. That is replaced with almond butter and almond milk. With these changes, this coconut almond butter cookies is actually vegan!
Don't forget to check out all of the Diwali recipes from this tea time spread!
- Rose Tea Cake Cookies
- Ghughra Sweet Rolls
- Oven Toasted Chivda
- White Chocolate Jalebi Bark
- Coconut Gulab Jamun Truffles
Coconut Almond Butter Cookies
- ½ cup sugar
- ¾ cup brown sugar packed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup coconut oil melted
- ¼ cup almond butter
- ¼ cup almond milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ½ cups shredded coconut unsweetened
- In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, brown sugar, salt, melted coconut oil, and almond butter. Whisk for 1 minute, scrap down the bowl and whisk for another minute.
- Whisk in the almond milk and vanilla extract until incorporated.
- Stir in the flour and baking soda. Then fold in the shredded coconut.
- Chill the dough for 30 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 350°F
- Scoop the dough with a 1 ½ tablespoon cookie scoop onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Flatten the tops of the scoops slightly. Leave 2-3 inches of space between the cookies, the cookies will spread as it bakes.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the edges are golden brown.
- Remove to cooling rack to cool. Enjoy once the cookies have cooled completely!
Adapted from Tasty Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
I love anything almond and these cookies sound amazing! I never thought to use almond butter in a cookie!
Hi Emily! Yes the almond butter is a great alternative to peanut butter or any nut butter! These cookies are great they do not last long in my house!
I love this combination of almond and coconut - delicious!
Thanks Sue! This cookie is super delicious!! Just the right amount of sweetness and chew!!
I love almond butter!!! Great combination of flavors.
Thanks Audrey! It is a great combo!