This citrus avocado jalapeno bowl is my new lunch favorite! Its easy to prep and its got all the flavors: sweet, spicy, tart, salty AND all the textures: creamy, crunchy, fresh!
What's in this citrus avocado jalapeno bowl?
Farro - I like using farro in this bowl. Its a nice chewy grain that cooks pretty quickly and its hearty so it keeps me full until dinner. Brown or white rice, quinoa or coucous are also great alternatives for the grain here.
Chickpeas -The protein source in these bowls is chickpeas. It's an easy prep. I just drain and rinse a can of chickpeas and they're ready to go. Plus they are so creamy, it pairs perfectly with the avocado!
Citrus - Grapefruit and orange slices. You can use any citrus fruits you prefer. The grapefruit is really just perfect with the avocado and jalapeno flavors here. It has such a delicate flavor that is not overly sweet. Here's a great guide on how to segment grapefruit and other citrus fruits so they are easier to plate in a salad. Yes it's definitely worth it to segment the citrus!
Veggies - Avocado, red onion, cilantro, jalapeno. Other flavors that would work in this bowl are: bell peppers, carrots, salad greens and cucumbers.
Creamy Jalapeno Dressing
- Jalapeno - deseeded and chopped, I used 1 jalapeno in this dressing. If you're looking for more heat, add in another pepper or two!
- Garlic - garlic pairs so nicely with jalapeno
- Yogurt - the yogurt helps to make it creamy and balances the heat of the jalapeno pepper
- Lime - juice of half of lime, for a little acidity in the dressing
- Honey - for a touch of sweetness to balance everything
- Cumin - for a earthy smoky flavor
- Salt & Pepper - to bring all of the flavors together
Tip: Make a double batch of this creamy jalapeno dressing and save some for another lunch in the week!
You might also be interested in these great lunch recipes: Tuna Avocado Toast, Egg Bhurji Avocado Toast, Creamy Taco Soup
Citrus Avocado Jalapeno Bowl
- 1 avocado ripe, cut into cubes
- ½ cup citrus fruit slices oranges, grapefruit, lemons, your choice
- 1 can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1 cup cooked farro or any other grain
- ¼ cup red onions thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon cilantro chopped
Creamy Jalapeno Dressing
- 1 jalapeno deseeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons yogurt
- 1 clove garlic minced
- juice of ½ lime
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon honey
- salt & pepper to taste
- Cook the farro according to package directions. Set aside.
- To make the Creamy Jalapeno Dressing: Add all of the dressing ingredients into a small blender and puree until creamy.
- In a large bowl, combine the cooked farro, chickpeas, citrus slices, red onion, avocado, cilantro. Drizzle evenly with the dressing, then toss until combined.
Amy Liu Donga
I love this salad bowl so easy to make and really delicious.
Perfect for my cravings!
Thank you! Its so perfect for lunches!