These yeast free cinnamon chai latte sweet rolls are the easiest cinnamon rolls you can make! But that does not mean they are lacking in flavor! These sweet rolls are non yeasted rolls with a cinnamon chai filling and a chai latte glaze drizzle.
The perfect breakfast treat! Once these are baking in the oven, the only thing you will have to decide is whether to enjoy them with coffee or chai?
What replaces the yeast in the dough?
You can use all purpose flour + salt + baking powder added in. This really simplifies the entire process.
Other than self-rising flour, all you need for the dough is sugar, melted butter and milk. Super simple ingredients!
The main thing to remember when making these rolls is that you do not want to overwork the dough. Just knead the dough until just combined and you can roll it out. If you overwork it, the dough will get super tough and you will lose that fluffy texture cinnamon rolls are known for!
Chai Latte Sweet Rolls
Now these are not just cinnamon rolls but cinnamon chai latte sweet rolls, meaning they have a ton of cinnamon flavor but a pretty healthy amount of chai masala as well! I mean the chai masala helps to season the rolls themselves!
But the glaze is made with steeped chai tea bags!! All you need for the glaze is:
- Chai tea bags
- Powdered sugar
Steep the chai in the milk and then add that chai infused milk to powdered sugar to make that chai latte glaze.
If you're looking for yeasted sweet rolls, check out this recipe for Ghughra Sweet Rolls
You might also be interested in other breakfast treats:
Cinnamon Chai Latte Sweet Rolls
Cinnamon Chai Filling
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon chai masala
Sweet Roll Dough
- 2 cups whole milk
- ½ cup sugar
- 4½ cups self-rising flour
- ½ cup butter
- ¼ cup milk
- 2 chai flavored tea bags
- 1½ cup powdered sugar
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Spray a rectangular (9X13) baking pan or a muffin pan with cooking spray.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine sugar, cinnamon and chai masala. Set aside.
Make the sweet dough
- Whisk together the self-rising flour and sugar. Stir in milk and melted butter. Using a rubber spatula or wooden spoon, until a soft dough forms
- Knead the dough for little bit, until it is smooth. Do not knead for more than 2 minutes. Do not overwork the dough.
- On a floured surface, roll out the dough into a long rectangle. You're looking for about 30 x 10 inch rectangle.
Assemble the Rolls
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan, pour the melted butter on the rolled out dough. Spread the butter with a brush to the edges of the dough.
- Sprinkle the filling over the entire surface of the buttered dough.
- Beginning at the farthest end (at the long edge), start rolling the edge of the dough towards you. Use both hands and roll as tightly as you can. It is ok if some filling spills out. Pinch the dough to seal once you get to the end.
- Now cut the log into 1 inch slices. Arrange the roll slices in your baking pan.
- Bake the rolls for 35 minutes. You want the rolls to be lightly golden brown. Remove from oven and cool for at least 10 minutes before serving.
- Steep chai tea bags in milk for 10 minutes.
- Combine milk and powdered sugar, whisk together. Pour over cinnamon chai sweet rolls
Adapted from recipe