These chocolate chip pistachio scones are light, flakey, buttery and decadently drizzled with chocolate, chopped pistachios and powdered sugar! They are the perfect treat for breakfast, dessert and of course tea time!
What Ingredients do I need for Chocolate Chip Pistachio Scones?
- All Purpose Flour - make sure to measure the flour by scooping into the measuring cup and then level it off
- Butter - cold, unsalted butter is the key to getting the dough perfect
- Baking Powder - this is the leavening agent, you need a generous amount to get the proper rise
- Sugar - not much sugar is required because you're looking for a slightly sweet biscuit-like dough
- Heavy Cream - keeps the dough from drying out. I also like to brush the tops of the scones with additional heavy cream before baking so it creates a crisp, browned exterior
- Add ins - for this recipe I'm using chocolate chips (or chocolate chunks) and pistachios. You can really make these scones with whatever filling you want though.
We just loves scones! But only when they're made correctly. No one wants to finish a bland or dense scone. These chocolate chip pistachios are light and airy. The texture is like a sweet buttery biscuit, which makes them super hard to resist straight out of the oven.
Tips To Make the Perfect, Light & Buttery Scone
- Make sure to use cold butter. The first thing you should do is cut the butter into cube and put them in the freezer until it is time to add them to the dough. This way, the butter is as cold as possible.
- Cut the butter into the flour mixture. You want to get a texture that is sandy but still have some larger pieces of butter throughout as well. So the butter is pretty evenly distributed but you have some larger pockets that will create the flaky texture you're looking for. You can use a pastry cutter, forks or even just a cheese grater to quickly grate the cold butter into small pieces.
- Do not over mix. As you add the heavy cream, take care not to over mix the dough. Only knead the dough just enough to bring it together.
Chocolate Chip & Pistachio Scones
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons butter chilled, unsalted and cut into ¼ inch cubes
- ½ cup chocolate chips or chocolate chunks
- ½ cup pistachios chopped
- 1¼ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup chocolate chips melted
- ¼ cup chopped pistachios
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- Heat oven to 425°F. Prepare a baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper, set aside.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, sugar and salt in large bowl.
- Using a pastry cutter or fork, quickly cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse meal, with a few slightly larger butter lumps. Stir in chocolate chips and pistachios. Stir in 1 cup of heavy cream until dough begins to form, about 30 seconds.
- Transfer dough and all dry, floury bits to countertop and knead dough by hand just until it comes together into a rough, sticky ball, 5 to 10 seconds. Form scones by patting the dough into an 8-inch circle (does not need to be perfect) then cutting the dough into 8 wedges with either a knife or scraper.
- Place wedges on baking sheet and brush the tops of the wedges with the additional heavy cream. Bake until scone tops are light brown, 12 to 15 minutes. Cool on wire rack for at least 10 minutes.
- Once the scones are cooled, drizzle the melted chocolate over the tops and quickly add the chopped pistachios. Sprinkle with powdered sugar to finish.