I have the perfect chocolate chip cherry scones recipe for tea time!
I have always loved tea and ever since we visited tea shops in NYC and London, I also can't get enough of tea time! We try to have some fun with it whenever we can. We love to grab a few pastries, some tea biscuits, and of course clotted cream. Our go-to tea is Fortum & Mason black teas, they are just delicious! There hasn't been a flavor that I haven't enjoyed from them. Their earl grey is a classic but just a beautiful flavor and aroma! Love all of their royal tea blends. Some of my personal favorites are Queen Anne, Royal Blend, Wedding Breakfast and the super unique Smoky Earl Grey.
So today we decided to have some fun with the Fortnum & Mason teas and tea biscuits and set up a quick tea time. In addition to the classic black teas, we added some tea biscuits, freshly baked scones, clotted cream and jam. Its a super simple assortment that only sounds fancy! Don't you just love that you can have a fancy tea time but not have to spend a ton of time cooking?
Chocolate Chip Cherry Scones
I just love freshly baked...anything really! But these chocolate chip cherry scones fresh out of the oven with a smear of clotted cream (and a touch of jam!) accompanied by a piping hot cup of tea is just amazing! Believe me, its so simple but so comforting!
What I love most about this scone recipe is that they have the flavor and texture of a biscuit rather than any scones I've ever had. They are ever so slightly sweet (you can always add more sugar when you're making these). But the bits of chocolate chips and cherries really pop when you bite into it!
Tips for Baking Scones
- The secret ingredient in the these scones is ricotta cheese! It adds moisture to the scones.
- Grate the butter. Most scone recipes call for cutting butter into the flour mixture. I've found that grating cold (even frozen butter) is so much easier.
- Do not over mix the dough. It will seem like its just barely holding together, but that's when you stop. Wrap it in plastic and freeze it for 30 minutes. Use the plastic wrap to shape the dough if needed.
These chocolate chip cherry scones are just delicious, right on the edge of sweet and savory! Perfect tea time snack!
Chocolate Chip Cherry Scones
- 2¼ cup all purpose flour
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoon butter cold, grated
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips
- ½ cup frozen cherries chopped
- ¾ cup ricotta cheese full fat
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt, whisk together. Stir in the grated butter. Combine into flour mixture until the butter pieces are distributed throughout.
- Stir in the chocolate chips and chopped cherries.
- In a small bowl, add the ricotta cheese, egg, vanilla extract and almond extract, mix until well combined. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and pour cheese mixture into it. Gently bring the flour mixture up and over the wet mixture. Once the flour is fully incorporated, use your hands to bring the dough together. Do not over mix! The dough will seem dry but just make sure that most of the flour is incorporated. It will not be a moist smooth dough.
- On a large piece of plastic wrap, place the dough and press it into a square that is 1 inch thick. Wrap the plastic wrap around the dough, place the dough in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Heat oven to 400°F. Cut the dough into 16 triangles, using a sharp knife. (Cut large square into 4 smaller squares. Then cut each small square crosswise into 4 triangles). Place each triangle about 2 inches apart on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 13-15 minutes.
- Cool slightly, serve warm with clotted cream and jam.
This is not sponsored and all of the products were purchased by me. I am not affiliated with any of the companies linked above. I am only writing about the products that I like.