Don't you love the spicy, tangy flavors of chilli chicken (Indian Chinese style)? But don't you also hate that's its usually fried? Me too!! So that's why I started making these chilli chicken lettuce wraps!
You get all the same flavors of the chilli chicken but none of the guilt! The chicken comes together so quickly and easily. If you have a go-to chilli chicken spice blend or sauce just use that with this preparation. I like to use Ching's Secret Chicken Chilli Masala.
Then get your toppings ready. I like to use shredded carrots, scallions, a little bit of cilantro and of course hot sauce (sriracha goes well here). You can use whatever you have for toppings, think peanuts, diced onions, sliced green chilis or jalapeños, even shredded cheese! Now the toppings are completely optional but they really add great texture!
What's so great about a lettuce wraps though?
Its super fun to eat and super healthy! You feel like you're eating a crunchy taco but its like a zero calorie alternative. Yes, its true, this is actually a salad, but you have to admit eating it like this is just so much more fun. I mean I know, I can get too easily sick of eating regular lettuce salads.
Alternatives to lettuce wraps
The great thing about this recipe is that it is super easy to transform. Use the chili chicken as the base and serve it with rice if you are looking for something heartier.
Maybe your kids don't like lettuce wraps? For my kiddos, I use the filling plus some shredded cheese to make quesadillas!
If you're looking for the vegetarian version, just sub out the the ground chicken with either tofu or paneer. Both will mimic the texture of ground chicken and also easily take on the flavors from the seasoning. Paneer chilli lettuce wraps are absolutely amazing as well!
Don't forget some side dishes to go along with the chilli chicken lettuce wraps!
Scallion Garlic Indian Fried Rice
Schezwan Fried Rice with Mushrooms and Carrots
Sesame Vegetable Hakka Noodles
Chilli Chicken Lettuce Wraps
Chilli Seasoned Ground Chicken
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 3 garlic cloves freshly grated
- 1 tablespoon ginger grated
- 1 cup red and yellow bell peppers diced
- 3 scallions thinly sliced, whites and greens separated
- 2 tablespoons chilli chicken seasoning
- ½ cup water
For the Wraps
- 2-3 heads romaine lettuce
- scallion greens sliced
- chopped cilantro leaves
- sriracha sauce
- shredded carrots
Chilli Seasoned Ground Chicken
- Heat oil in a large pan on medium high heat. Once oil has heated, add ground chicken. Mincing the chicken as it cooks. Cook until chicken is browned, about 8-10 minutes.
- Add the garlic, ginger, diced bell peppers, sliced scallions (whites only), chilli seasoning. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in water and cook for another 10 minutes to cook off the excess water. Remove from heat, taste for salt.
Assemble the Chilli Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- Cut the base off of the romaine lettuce head and rinse the leaves. Set aside to dry the leaves.
- When serving, take each lettuce leaf and fill with ground chicken mixture. Then top with scallion greens, cilantro leaves, shredded carrots and drizzle with sriracha.
So good and I love that its low carb!
I love this recipe! Not only it's low-carb, but it also tastes delicious.
Thanks Linda, Yes super low carb and high protein, that's why its one our go-to meals!
These are amazing, my whole family loved them, thanks!
Thanks Amanda! I'm so glad they enjoyed it!
An easy recipe and so tasty!
Thanks Angela! Yes I'm always trying to find shortcuts for easy dinners!
Beautiful!! Will make it again! So delicious.
I am always looking for ways to replace bread products and this recipe looks so yummy!!
Yes its definitely one of our favorite options for low carb dinners!