This cherry rose pistachio cherry trifle may be embarrassingly easy to make but its so delicious that no will care! To really make a holiday themed dessert, I decided to be festive with the flavors and the colors with this one. Hence the red and green colors! Layers of pound cake, rose-syrup soaked cherries, pistachio pudding, cherry jam and whipped cream!
What's a trifle?
A trifle is a layered English dessert. The layers usually consist of cake or ladyfingers, a custard, fruit (in gelatin, jam or fresh form) and topped with whipped cream.
Cherry Rose Pistachio Trifle
Here are the layers for the trifle:
- Store bought pound cake - cut into cubes
- Pistachio pudding
- Cherry Jam
- Rose syrup soaked cherries
- Whipped cream topping
- Garnished with pistachios and cherries
See what I mean, by embarrassingly easy? There is zero baking and barely even making involved! All you need to do is put together a bunch of store bought items and put it into a pretty bowl!
How do I make a trifle?
- First, just prep all of the layers.
- Prepare the pudding, according to the package instructions and then just set in the refrigerator to chill.
- Soak the cherries in the rose syrup. I simmer the frozen cherries and rose syrup in a little bit of water for a few minutes so they combine nicely. Then remove from the heat.
- Cut the pound into cubes. You should make them small, about 1 inch cubes. This way they are bite sized but not so small they crumble everywhere.
- Check the consistency of the jam. You want it to be like a thick sauce. If you are not able to drizzle it, whisk in some water until you reach a consistency that you can drizzle thickly.
- Now grab your trifle bowl or glasses for individual servings and start layering. I like to add a little bit of cherry jam to the bottom and the layer the pound cake cubes, pistachio pudding, whipped cream, and rose syrup soaked cherries. See if you can make a second layer and then top it with all the remaining whipped cream and cherries!
Cherry Rose Pistachio Trifle
- 1 pound cake cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 pistachio pudding mix make according to package directions, chill
- 10 ounces cherry jam
- 2 cups frozen cherries
- 2 tablespoons rose syrup
- 8 ounces whipped topping
- pistachios chopped, for garnish
- edible rose petals optional
- In a small saucepan, add frozen cherries and rose syrup. Add a few tablespoons of water to help heat the mixture together. Let simmer for 5 minutes, remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Place the cherry jam in a small bowl, check the consistency. If you are looking for something you can scoop and drizzle but not be too thin. Whisk in a tablespoon of water at a time to the jam until you get a sauce-like consistency. Set aside.
- To make the trifle, I set out individual glasses. Layer with a spoon of cherry jam, cubes of pound cake, a dollap of whipped cream, a few of the rose-soaked cherries. Repeat those layers one more time. Top with the remaining whipped cream and garnish with remaining cherries, chopped pistachios and edible rose petals
- Chill the trifle glasses until ready to serve. Trifle can be served immediately or made ahead. I do not recommend making it more than 24 hours before serving.