You know when you have those ultra ripe bananas sitting on your counter, that no one wants to eat but you feel guilty to throw them out AND you really do not feel like making banana bread?? Here is my solution for you! These chai spiced banana donuts!! They are so delicious! Just a hint of banana flavor! For all those that are not super into banana bread anyways! It only requires 2 ripe bananas and has lots of warm cinnamon and chai flavor! I love the hint of fall flavors from this one!
This recipe is so versatile! Since this is a baked donut recipe, you can totally change it up and make muffins if you don't have a donut pan. And if you don't have a muffin pan either, I suggest you just buy a donut pan! Because you know its so much more fun to eat donuts!!
I do have a recipe for a chocolate banana bread, if you've got more bananas left! And with the amount of chocolate in there, it definitely passes for a dessert!
The Chai Seasoning!
I love chai seasoning! Its so warm and sweet and spicy! You get all the fall feelings when you bite into this donut (without any pumpkin in the mix!)
When picking out a pre-made chai seasoning mix, make sure you're looking at a mix that is just spices and not one meant for chai latte which includes milk powder!
Believe me, grab some chai seasoning, that you're ready for all the chai spiced lattes, baked good and anything else you want to throw this seasoning into!
Just to give you some more ideas! Chai and Biscuits Ice Cream (No-Churn), Peach Ginger Chai Pastry, Maple Chai Apple Topped Buttermilk Pancakes, Masala Chai Affogato
For baked donuts, the recipes follow the same process as with most baked goods.
- Mix together the dry ingredients and set aside - flour, baking soda, salt, chai spice
- Start combining the wet ingredients - butter, sugar, egg, vanilla extract, bananas, sour cream,
- Slowly incorporate the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until you get a smooth batter.
- Pour the batter into the donut pan and bake!
Chai Spiced Sugar Coating
To get that delicious sugar coated topping, I used chai spice (I know, in the topping too!), cinnamon, cardamom and sugar. First dipped the cooled donuts into melted ghee and then very quickly dipped the ghee side of the donuts face down into the chai-cinnamon-cardamom-sugar mixture. As with all toppings, its completely extra. These chai spiced banana donuts don't need the additional flavor, they really are amazing just like that. But the spicy, sweet coating is really, really good!
You might also be interested in the other delicious donut recipes! Sugar-free Chocolate Glazed Vanilla Donuts, Baked Pumpkin Spice Glazed Donuts
Chai Spiced Banana Donuts
- 1¼ cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon chai masala
- 8 tablespoons butter softened
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 bananas over ripe, mashed
For chai spiced coating
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon chai masala
- ¼ teaspoon cardamon powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons ghee
Chai Spiced Banana Donuts
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Spray donut pans with nonstick cooking spray.
- Mix together the all-purpose flour, baking soda, salt and chai spice together in a bowl. Set aside.
- With an electric mixer, cream together butter and sugar, until light and fluffy. Add in egg and vanilla, whisk until combined. Add in mashed banana and sour cream, whisk until combined. At this point, the mixture will look like its separating but once you add the dry ingredients it will combine into a smooth batter.
- Start adding the flour mixture to the wet mixture. Add a little at a time until the dry mixture has been incorporated.
- Spoon the batter into a donut pan. Bake the donuts for 8-10 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let the donuts cool in the pan for 5 minutes before turning them out onto a cooling rack.
Coat with Chai Spiced Sugar
- Melt the ghee or butter in a small microwaveable bowl or a small saucepan. Remove from heat and allow to cool to the touch slightly. (Do not wait too long or the ghee will solidify again!)
- Combine all of the spices for the chai spiced sugar coating in a small bowl, mix to evenly distribute the spices with the sugar.
- Dip each donut, face down in the ghee and then the spiced sugar. Place on the cooling rack to let set. The sugar coating will set within 10 minutes.
My favorite kind of donuts! I can't wait to try it this weekend
What a unique recipe! Can’t wait to try it!